Performers for Progress

Kendall Roberts, Co-Managing Editor

Months of careful planning, grueling rehearsals, and long practices reached a crescendo as students stepped out of the woodwork, and into the spotlight. Sharing their many talents in Miramonte’s bi-annual Cabaret NightPerformers for Progressour multi-faceted student body put on a stunning show.

Produced by juniors William Shain and Bayla Jaffe, a raucous full-house was treated to 18 different acts, ranging from piano and didgeridoo performances to songs and skits. “This fall, there being only one show night, our goal was to fill up the theater to the max, and we did.” Jaffe said. “I have received incredible feedback on how people thought the show went and everyone seems to love this show particularly because of the diversity of the acts. No one act was like another.”

Benefiting Endangered Species International (ESI), the show raised over 4,500 dollars. ESI is an organization committed to reversal of human-induced species extinction, and preserving wild places. “We chose ESI as the charity for the fall show because they do very important work regarding saving and protecting endangered species and habitats. That kind of work is under-appreciated and we forget how important it truly is,” said Jaffe, who has attended the performances since the age of 10.

All in all, audience members were pleased with the performance. Masters of Ceremonies Jordan Hardwick, Kate Nerone, and Leah Woodcox added a comedic flair that kept the audience in stitches. Talents were one-of-a-kind. “I loved Performers for Progress because of all the interesting and creative acts,” junior Olivia Bohuslav said upon leaving the theater on closing night.

One major highlight of the show included the men’s choir performance of Loch Lomonda Scottish folk song. Showcasing some of Miramonte’s most talented vocalists,

the group consisted of seniors Michael Britten, Ben Hodder and Ben Stillman, junior Ryan Ford, and sophomores Daniel Pliskin, Robert Rieser, and David Schneidinger.

Another audience favorite came to life in a rendition of  ‘Gold on the Ceiling,’ performed by An Accident Waiting to Happen. Juniors Olivia Zalevsky, Nathan Sharafian, Andrew Monteith, Carter Blanchard and senior Jeremy O’Neill put together an arrangement eliciting cheers from the crowd. Performers flooded the stage, backing the young band as they played the last song of the night.

And so, the tradition of Performers for Progress at Miramonte continues to stand, binding together a collection talented performers in one showcase.

Performers for Progress encourages students to attend next spring’s performances, as they hope to expand on their success.

The Miramonte Boy's Choir sings a rendition of Loch-Lomond.

Abby Rose
The Miramonte Boy’s Choir sings a rendition of Loch-Lomond.