Ryan Little’s Ridiculous Bracket

Jayson Fernbacher, Staff Writer

March Madness is over, the chaos of the tournament has passed and the North Carolina Tar Heels are champions for the sixth time in history. Other teams proved to be the Cinderellas of the tournament, devastating some, surprising everyone, and stealing the hearts of most. Most everyone has moved on with their lives, mourning their tragically blighted brackets. However, some bracket participants were unbridled with joy from their successes.

A few weeks earlier, the annual bracket returned. The college basketball tournament of 64 teams comes with an abundance of excitement. During the waning weeks of March, everyone becomes a college basketball aficionado. The tournament is single elimination or one and done. In order to advance to the finals, a team would have to go through six rounds. With so many teams and so much variation, it makes the tournament captivating and addictive.  Nationwide everyone fills out brackets either with their “expertise” or completely without knowledge of the teams participating. At Miramonte, a plethora of students completed their own brackets. Senior bracketologist Sam Foster proclaims the key to success is to “trust your gut, have some background knowledge of the teams involved, and be absurdly lucky.” Students without knowledge of college basketball normally elect teams of a high seed, which correlate with their higher caliber and skill level. However, many know that there are countless upsets during the tournament. An upset is when a lower seed defeats and knocks out a higher seed. Predicting the whole tournament is virtually impossible, which makes filling the bracket so fun.

Each year senior Jimmy Ricksen hosts a pool since eighth grade, where students can pay a ten dollar fee to enter. The one with the most accurate bracket gets the money. This year a total of almost 60 students entered Ricksen’s pool and one came out victorious. Although Senior Ryan Little stands at a mere 5 feet 6 inches, his bracket stood tall. He has the foresight of a psychic. Little attributes his success to “using March Madness strategy over basketball strategy. “He went on to say “I had no idea the caliber of the teams, but I knew their history and the usual tendency of March Madness.” Little’s midwest section was completely perfect, meaning he predicted every single game in the section. The upsets hurt Little’s bracket, but fortunately ruined majority of the contestants brackets too. Little prevailed even with people rooting against him. Senior Alex Meyers posted a picture of the final four on his snapchat: “For those watching with no one to root for, Ryan Little misses out on $400 if the Ducks can pull off the W.” Little explains in order to win, “don’t listen to the haters.” He plans to spend the money on spoiling his girlfriend. Little has a lucky girl, but an even luckier bracket.