Miramonte Basketball Claims Tournament Title

The Matadors sweep the tournament and bring home the title

Xavier Clark, Staff Writer

The Matadors traveled down to San Luis Obispo this past weekend to play in a three day tournament. They capped off an undefeated weekend winning all four games, as well as the tournament title. The Mats were led by senior forward Charlie Hocking who was awarded tournament MVP.  Sophomore guard Miles Beaubelle  was awarded to the all-tournament team.

Miramonte 53 vs Porterville 50

The Matadors opened up the weekend with a rusty match against the Porterville Panthers. The first game jitters were evident as the Mats turned over the ball over 20 times. However, they proved that they could fight through adversity and pull through. Down the stretch both Hocking and Beaubelle hit some critical shots to help the Mats pull away. Beaubelle hit a crucial basket as  to push the lead up to 6 points sealing the game for the Mats.

Miramonte 52 vs Arroyo Grande 45

Miramonte brought their gritty defense in their second game holding the Arroyo Grande Eagles to just 45 points. On both sides competitive and physical defense was played. However The standout of the game was once again senior Charlie Hocking. Hocking scoring 32 of Miramontes 52 points.  Hocking’s 6’7” height proved to be too much for the Eagles inside the paint. When the Matadors needed a basket they went to Hocking’s continued to make baskets all night.

Miramonte 81 vs Roseville 51

The Mats jumped out on Roseville early and never looked back. All game Miramonte’s offense proved to be to much for Roseville’s defense. The Mats’ numerous forced turnovers allowed them to score big in transition. Hocking led all scorers with 26 points- shooting an almost perfect game going 11 for 12 on the night.

Miramonte 69 vs Selma 65

The Mats closed the weekend on a high note beating the Selma Bears in the championship game. Miramonte led most of the game by double digits. However, the Bears did make there run in the second half. The Mats regrouped and showed composure at the end of the game as they sealed the victory. Miramonte showed their depth as the Matadors bench players outscored Selma’s bench by a wide margin.