Mats Basketball Riddled with Injuries Before Campo Game

Mats Hoops "Bang Bros" depict Nikhil Shastri '18 and Charlie Hocking '17 with team manager Steven Hyman '17.

Jonah Medal-Katz, Staff Writer

With a matchup against Campolindo this evening looming, the Mats find themselves without their main scorer and down a big man. Charlie Hocking 17’ is out with a short term ankle injury and Enzo Jiannalone ‘18 is out for the rest of the season with a torn ACL and Meniscus. Hocking was the Mats MVP in an early season tournament in San Luis Obispo, leading the Mats to a 4-0 record and a tournament championship. Jiannalone was a valuable part of the team,offering the experience of a returning varsity player. The Mats will have to move on without him. Although Hocking is set to return in the near future the Mats have had some opportunity to improve in his absence. “Charlie has been our main scorer this year so different players have had to take on more minutes and step up rebounding and scoring. We hope to have him back for Friday’s game against Campo” Nikhil Shastri ‘18 said.  Players like Miles Beaubelle ‘19, Ethan Fischler ‘18 and Jimmy Ricksen ‘17 have all stepped up in the face of the injuries and are ready regardless of the timetable for Hocking’s return. Fischler came up big for the Mats in last Friday’s victory against Hillsborough with his 17 point contribution. Miramonte currently sits at 10-4 and are set to play at 10-5 Campolindo tonight in the first league game.