Concerts Add Excitement to Summer

Sophomore Christian Santiago and his brother pose for a picture while watching a performance from afar.

Christian Santiago

Ellie Poling and Meghan Rogers, Staff Writers

The summer of 2013 has passed, but Miramonte students still carry with them their fun and interesting experiences from the season’s many concerts.

This summer junior Anita Levin rocked out at the Warped Tour in Santa Rosa. For a low price of $45 she was able to experience a day full of rock. With around 60 bands playing on nine stages, Levin had an awesome day walking around the festival listening to genres, ranging from Ska to Classic Rock. Her favorite bands were Aquabats, Reel Big Fish, and Goldfinger.

As for the crowd, “there were a lot of Nirvana shirts,” Levin said. Rockers of all ages came to listen to headliners 3OH!3, Sleeping with Sirens, and Never Shout Never. Levin is excited to go back next year, depending on the lineup, and recommends it to anyone that enjoys these genres of music.

Junior Mariel Salem purchased the Country Mega Ticket for $249, the key to the best country concerts the area. That one ticket bought entry into multiple concerts such as Tim McGraw, John Mayer, Hunter Hayes, and Brad Paisley. Salem also saw her favorite performer, Taylor Swift, in Sacramento.

“I love going to concerts because I can let go, be carefree, and just have fun,” Salem said.

Senior Gianni Fiatarone was one of the many students who attended San Francisco’s Outside Lands this year. This three-day festival is often a top choice for Miramonte students due to its wide variety of music genres. From old school Beatles member Paul McCartney to DJs such as Kaskade, Outside Lands always has something for everyone.

Sophomore Christian Santiago had the pleasure of seeing many rappers this summer. At the end of May he saw Tyler the Creator, and Earl Sweatshirt at the Ace of Bass in Sacramento. In addition, during the last week of summer he was able to fly to Dublin, Ireland with his older brother to see Eminem. The opening acts for the rapper lasted all day and included Chance the Rapper, Slaughterhouse, Yelawolf, Plan B, as well as Tyler the Creator and Earl Sweatshirt for a second time. Although Santiago had a great time at both concerts, his favorite was Eminem. The main purpose of this long distance concert was to go on a last adventure with his older brother before he goes back to college.

“The coolest kind of people are definitely at rap concerts, because they’re all there to see their favorite rapper,” Santiago said. “You can have really interesting conversations with people about their opinions on rappers. You can see people in the crowd rapping to all the songs, even the most obscure ones.”