ASB Officers Announced

Juliet Miller and Margaret Ross, Staff Writers

Sydney Mays won the only competitive Associated Student Body (ASB) position, Vice President, after voting took place February 26 through 28. After running unopposed, Betsy Fellner is ASB President, Sondra Abruzzo is Secretary, and Shannon Moran is Treasurer. Any ASB position, which can be held only by a senior, involves responsibility for school-wide events.
Mays earned the votes she needed with her dedication to making campus an all around better place for every student. Mays is committed to helping the environmental club achieve its goals, including cleaning up the quad. Mays hopes to see students rally around girls’ sports with the same participation that boys’ sports receive.
VP competitor Caitlin Kozicki made use of her unique effervescence to rally the crowds on the quad with her speech on Monday. Unlike her competitors, Kozicki avoided the topics of environmentalism and sporting events. As a participant in the musicals and plays, Kozicki stressed the importance of supporting the Miramonte art programs like drama and music.
VP contender Lauren Paxton emphasized the social aspect of school. In the VP position, she would have made an effort to add more dances as a way for students to socialize. Another goal of Paxton’s would have been to make the food selection on campus more appealing.
ASB elections were held earlier in the year than usual to give elected officers the opportunity to prepare for their positions during the spring. Current leadership officers will be able to pass down their knowledge to the incoming officers.
Unlike past years, candidates were strictly prohibited from pressuring their peers into voting on the spot via iPad or iPhone. In order to further steer the election away from a popularity contest, competitors gave informative speeches on the quad about their plans for next year.