HP Fans Eagerly Await Pottermore Launch

Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson star in Warner Bros. Pictures’ fantasy adventure, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1.

J. Buitendijk/MCT Campus

Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson star in Warner Bros. Pictures’ fantasy adventure, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1.

Julia Hass, Staff Writer

The moment the final installment of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ended, the wails and cries of millions of fans all over the world rang out. For many people, childhood ended with the conclusion of the world famous series, even if those people happened to be middle-aged.

The Harry Potter series has appealed to all ages and all genders as no series has before, and with the completion of the books and movies many are wondering how to experience Harry Potter in new ways, other than re-watching the movies or re-reading the books for the billionth time.  Enter Pottermore: a new creation founded by J.K. Rowling herself.

Pottermore is an interactive virtual reading experience, where fans can read new material from J.K. Rowling, the series author, be sorted into a house through an extensive quiz created by Rowling, learn spells, and participate in classes. The user will be able to move through the chapters and interact in key moments of the story.

Though the scheduled release date for Pottermore is at the beginning of October, there was a chance for die-hard fans to gain access earlier. The “Magic Quill Challenge,” which consisted of specific questions about each of the seven books began July 30. On Aug. 15, congratulatory emails were sent out, informing users that they had special early access to the beta testing period of Pottermore. The final congratulations notices are periodically being sent out, and starting tomorrow, users will have to wait for the public launch of the site.

A  few have already received their letter. One of them is Erika Mionis, a 17-year-old who lives in Arizona. Mionis described the sorting test as “not very long,” but including relatively deep questions. Mionis said that after the test “there is an explanation about the House you were sorted in to, which makes you feel better about not being sorted into Gryffindor.” (Mionis was sorted into Ravenclaw.)

Miramonte junior Anna Boer recently received her entrance letter over the weekend. “I was so excited,” she said, “I’d been checking my email everyday, just waiting for my Pottermore letter.”

However, with all the new members that were added over the weekend, the site has been experiencing a lot of network overloads, that have kept people from

experiencing the site to it’s fullest extent. “People have just been so excited about it, and way too many people have been trying to get on at once,” Boer said, “I think the main reason people are so excited is just the promise of a whole new experience with Harry Potter.”

Though junior Jack Morris, a 10-year Harry Potter fan, opted not to perform the “Magic Quill Challenge,” he still looks forward to Pottermore as another exciting innovation in the Harry Potter world.

“What I’m looking forward to the most in Pottermore, other than the new material from the books that was promised, is being able to really understand what J.K. Rowling was thinking while writing the books,” Morris said.

All the fans are extremely excited for the release of Pottermore, but until then, they’ll just have to satisfy themselves with reading those well-worn Harry Potter books one more time.