Which Local Dessert Takes the Cake?

M. Swan

Mollie Swan and Cassidy Waters, Head Photographer and Staff Writer

Girls always love their sweet, sugary treats. Whether they are satisfying a craving, eating their feelings, or simply looking for a fun way to pass time, girls are not opposed to bopping around from city to city and are certainly not ashamed to indulge. Like fashion, desserts fall in and out of style. Unlike girls, boys have little patience for these dessert trends. 

1. Frozen Yogurt 

(Yogurt Shack, Coco Swirl, Pinkberry, Yogurtland, Yogurt Castle)

The first dessert craze was self-serve frozen yogurt. This was popular because girls felt they were able to enjoy a lower calorie treat guilt-free. Girls also like the feeling of power the self-serve process gives them. They are able to choose exactly how much of which flavors they want. Often, a girl’s frozen yogurt choice reflects her mood. For example, an upset girl will most likely eat a larger portion of chocolate frozen yogurt drowned sugary toppings.

2. Cupcakes

(Republic of Cake, Kara’s Cupcakes, Teacake)

After Frozen Yogurt faded out of the dessert scene, cupcakes made a bold appearance. Girls couldn’t resist the moist cake, rich frosting, and unique flavors the trendy cupcake boutiques offered. Many cucpake shops offer both sweet and savory treats. At Orinda’s Republic of Cake, the flavors change monthly, encouraging girls to return often. Popular flavors include: Cookies and Cream, Choconana S’mores, Dulce de Leche, Chocolate Raspberry, Snickerdoodle, and Jasmine Green Tea

3. Bubble Tea

(Mocchacino, Green Bubble, La Myx)

One of the latest indulgences is Bubble Tea. The combination of tapioca balls and the distinct flavors of tea is an acquired taste which has become very popular among high school students. The tea is typically served cold, but some girls prefer to enjoy their Bubble Tea warm. Although reluctant to admit it, many boys enjoy these feminine drinks as well. Popular flavors include: Classic Black Milk Tea, Honey Milk Tea, Thai Milk Tea, Blended Mango Icy, Blended Honey Dew Icy, Green Tea Guava, Rose Green Tea, and Peach Tea

4. C.R.E.A.M.

(short for: Cookies Rule Everything Around Me)

The current most desired dessert is the ice cream cookie sandwich offered in Berkeley at even the most inconvenient hours. Not only do girls love to choose their favorite cookie and ice cream combination, but they also love to post pictures of their delectable treat on Facebook and Twitter. #zomgcream! Popular combinations include: Chocolate Chip and Vanilla Ice Cream, Macadamia Nut and Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, Cappuccino and Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Prediction: Gourmet Popcorn

(Cornology)

Once girls get sick of Bubble Tea and C.R.E.A.M., the next dessert that could potentially come into style will be gourmet popcorn.  When cupcakes became less popular, Cornology replaced a cupcake shop in Walnut Creek. Mirador predicts that this will be the next craze. Between caramel, mint, chocolate, and berry flavored popcorn, girls will not be able to resist the wide variety of flavors. Also, this trendy popcorn shop is located in the heart of Broadway Plaza, so it will likely attract hungry shoppers.