Teachers Give the Scoop on Teen Dating

Hannah Friel and Jack Kovalik, Staff Writers

Believe it or not, Miramonte teachers were once high school students. And yes, they too went through the heart-wrenching highs and lows of high school relationships. The Mirador has interviewed a few wise souls to learn some excellent tips and advice to help you succeed with your special sweetie.

Odie McCain, former science teacher: Enjoy all pursuits and remember to have fun in the moment. Also, appreciate what you have, while you have it.

Stan Heard, Video Production and English 1: Go out with someone who likes you

Carla Unroe, Spanish 1, 3, 4H: Dating is a positive experience for high school students because I think it exposes you to the reality of real world relationships. Kids feel a variety of emotions, from sadness to first time feelings of love and commitment. Emotions can get amplified in high school with relationships so you have to be very careful, but I’m all for it.

Karen Lamberti, English 3: My first piece of advice to boys and girls, men and women, would be to date someone who they think is really fun and full of life. Not always easy to do with young people. Often times our hormones are in charge and we are taken to a certain type of person so there’s that physical attractiveness, but I would advise you to really look beyond that.

Gavin Kermode, 3-D Art: Don’t take it too seriously and enjoy yourself.

Mr. G, campus security: Don’t date anyone. I have two girls of my own, and you know dads don’t like their daughter’s little boyfriends. I am very protective, and some little kid is trying to weasel their way into my daughter’s life.

Karl Kosciuch, English 2, 4: Don’t get married until you are 30. Take your time choosing your partner, because if you live until you’re 90, and you probably will, realize that you will spend 60 years of your life with that person.

Dan Appel, Algebra 2/Trig, Pre-Calculus: My general advice is that dating in high school is never quite as serious as you think. Don’t make life decisions that are 5-10 years down the road based on something that is happening right now.