2013: Year of the Movies

In the Great Gatsby, Daisy (Carey Mulligan) and Mr. Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) share a passionate moment.

Meghan Rogers, Staff Writer

ENDER’S GAME

Based on the 1985 novel in the successful Sci-Fi series by Orson Scott Card, Ender’s Game follows the story of a young boy named Ender who is recruited to be trained in the art of fighting aliens. The movie is being directed by Gavin Hood and will be starring Asa Butterfield (the boy from Hugo) as Ender, Harrison Ford, Hailee Steinfeld, Viola Davis and Abigail Breslin. This movie doesn’t come out until Nov. 1, but hopefully it will be deserving of the hype it is already receiving.

ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND CONTINUES

Did anyone expect a sequel to the hilarious Anchorman? We saw at the Golden Globes Awards that Will Ferrell is growing out his moustache, so whether you did or not, it’s coming. It premiers Dec. 20, and features the original stars, Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell, as well as a rumored appearance by Kristen Wiig.

THE GREAT GATSBY

Juniors, get excited! The famous 1925 novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald is being made into a movie and will be released July 12. It was originally scheduled to premier May 10, but was pushed back in order to start off the summer with an exciting movie. The movie is set in the roaring 20’s and follows a man named Nick Carraway (played by Tobey Maguire) living in Long Island who becomes interested in his neighbor, Jay Gatsby’s (Leonardo DiCaprio) extravagant lifestyle. He is ultimately drawn into Gatsby’s social circle and becomes involved with their tragedies.

21 AND OVER

Brought to you by the directors of The Hangover, 21 and Over is about a hard working medical student whose two friends plan on celebrating his 21st birthday with him. Familiar actors Skylar Astin (the love-interest in Pitch Perfect) and Miles Teller (of Project X and Rabbit Hole) will be starring in this comedy scheduled for March 1.

CARRIE REMAKE

The original adaptions of this Stephen King novel were creepy enough, but apparently not for the horror film industry. As such, we are expecting another Carrieremake on Oct. 18. The film stars Chloe Grace Moretz as the new Carrie White, a sheltered girl living with her extremely religious mother played by Julianne Moore.  Carrie has been teased all her life, but when she discovers she has telekinetic powers, she may finally be able to exact her revenge on her bullies.