Making the Perfect Student Breakfast – In a Pinch

Molly Swain, Staff Writer

The Fanciest of Toasts

Check it out: you got the PB of PB&J (let’s admit it, peanut butter is everyone’s favorite part), easy to eat banana slices, warm toast and a cold glass of milk to top it off. The peanut butter provides protein, fiber in the toast, important vitamin D in the milk and potassium in the banana. This breakfast idea also has an equally tasty and fancy version: replace the PB with Nutella, and strawberries for banana- yum!

Smoothies, smoothies, smoothies!

The all time on-the-go snack, smoothies, remain on the list of heavenly drinks that can’t be beat. What can make smoothies a truly awesome breakfast food though, are all the things that can be added to it – and still make it taste like a strawberry milkshake. Instead of ice cream, use greek yogurt and ice chips, or skip the ice and use frozen fruit. A full banana, a handful of strawberries and blueberries, ice, vanilla greek yogurt, with a cup of orange juice to wrap it up – how can you go wrong? Something else to try is protein powder; it gives you just the kick you need to fill you up in the morning and get your day started.

Egg in a Muffin Madness

Don’t be fooled, this isn’t the lazy day McDonald’s breakfast that your early morning airport tummy craves. For a before school breakfast “Egg in a Muffin,” it’s got to be cream of the crop. Try a whole wheat English muffin with a folded omelet inside. You can put anything that tickles your fancy in the omelet, but some basics to start with are cheese, meat and some sort of veggies. If you’re in a hurry, it can help to plan ahead the night before and get your ingredients in order. I like to put Bruno’s peppers, Jack cheese and bits of ham in mine for a spicy twist.

Bananas with peanut butter on toast is the perfect morning snack.