Students React to the VMAs in a Variety of Ways

MCT Campus

Bailey Smith, Staff Writer

The MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs) enticed viewers everywhere on Aug. 25, 2013. The performances by Macklemore, Miley Cyrus, Justin Timberlake and more, induced many different reactions from spectators.

The show started out with a creative performance from Lady Gaga, followed by a performance from Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke, Kanye West, Justin Timberlake and *NSYNC, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Drake, Bruno Mars, and an inspiring performance from Katy Perry.

Lady Gaga gave a great vocal performance while dressed in her usual quirky costumes.  There isn’t much to be said about Miley that hasn’t already been said.  Justin Timberlake and *NSYNC definitely stole the show while Macklemore and Ryan Lewis gave a very heartfelt performance. Bruno Mars gave a goose-bump inducing performance and Katy Perry gave an exhilarating performance of her new hit “Roar.”

“Lady Gaga was awesome and JT (Justin Timberlake) was amazing! I mean, who doesn’t love him?” senior Mali Tehaney said. Justin Timberlake was graced with the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard. After his performance, it was clear that the honor was well deserved.

“I loved Justin Timberlake’s performance. He’s so cute and it was really good,” senior Olivia Warner said. It was admirable that Justin chose to acknowledge his former band by saying he’s won the majority of his awards with them. Even though it’s been awhile since they’ve performed together, they were definitely in sync.

*NSYNC was a delight for all and reminded many of their younger days. However, it was disappointing that they were allowed only a few minutes to perform.

“I was sad *NSYNC performed for only two minutes… but it made me feel nostalgia for my childhood,” senior Katherine Hsu said. It’s hard to believe it’s been over 10 years since the band broke up, but all *NSYNC fans keep their memory as well as their music alive.

Senior Haley Marx thought that Lady Gaga was very entertaining, saying that her performance was “fun and creative.”

“Miley Cyrus has a new style that I think was a little too inappropriate to show off at an awards show,” Marx said. Miley is going down a different path, clearly trying to transition from child star to adult entertainer. Where that path will lead, it’s too soon to say.

“Even though Miley’s performance at the VMAs was a little crazy, I still love her and she’ll always be Hannah Montana,” junior Jessica Alvarado said. Lately, Miley has been being bombarded with judgements at every corner. While some may think these judgements have been earned, others still see her as the Disney star she will always be – though she may be trying to rid herself of this image.

Ultimately, the VMAs were a tremendous success. Music fans everywhere are surely eager to see the show next year.