Left Handed People Speak Up for Their Rights

Courtney Attard and Hannah Christopher, Staff Writer

When you do something good, it is normal for people to congratulate you by saying, “right on!”, but when has anyone ever said, “left on?” This is just one of many examples of how left-handed people are discriminated against in our society.

Imagine this: You’re sitting in class trying to take notes, when your binder rings or notebook spiral prevents you from being able to write and the side of your hand drags along the page, leaving smudge marks. This is one of the daily struggles of a left-handed person.

Almost everything has been geared towards right-handed people, completely disregarding the important 10 percent minority of lefties. As if this wasn’t difficult enough, silverware is strategically laid out for righties at restaurants and computer mice are always placed on the right.

Many lefties have had to adapt to a world created for righties by learning to do certain things with their right hand, like using a computer mouse. Some say lefties are adapting while others say they are simply conforming.

Junior Tyler Abramson, Water Polo

Being left-handed has benefited me by giving me a huge advantage against right-handed players. For them it’s backwards, so I can usually take advantage of that. It has hurt me because it is much harder to apply the skills that we are learning about because I have to do everything the opposite way. Issues that I struggle with that right-handed players don’t are simple tasks such as catching the ball when they pass it to my right hand. I love being a leftie!

Sophomore Max Murphy, Water Polo

Being left-handed has benefitted me a lot. In sports mostly, but also just being different than everyone. It has affected my water polo playing a lot in a good way. In most sports, a lefty is very important for your team and water polo is one of those sports. It has not affected my day-to-day routine at all now because I am used to it. But when I was young, I had to learn to do some things different from most kids. Left-handed people have to shake hands with their right hand. Some desks are shaped for right-handed people, so lefties have to adjust. When I learned to play baseball and golf it was hard to find lefty equipment because we live in a mostly righty world. Most stores didn’t carry items for lefties. It has helped me a lot in water polo and it makes me feel unique. I love being left-handed. Sometimes it’s annoying when everybody assumes I’m right-handed and I have to adjust.

Senior Quinn Hanschen, Artist Being left-handed hasn’t really helped me in any way as far as I can recall. It’s more of just another facet of myself. I actually tried to train myself to write with my right hand in second grade but it was always so scribbly and illegible so I abandoned my efforts.

Since most languages write from left to right I always get pencil lead/ink smudged all over the side of my hand, and that tends to make my art a lot messier and can be a huge hassle. Taking notes is also kind of irritating because the spiral ring of notebooks often dig into my hand but it’s not as irritating to me as when I mess up a drawing by smearing ink on it.

Senior Daniel Cook, Actor  The main benefit of being left handed is people believing that you are naturally more artistic. Although I’m not sure this is true, it’s nice to feel special. A downside is sometimes I bump elbows with right-handed people at the dinner table and desks are designed for right-handed people, which is kind of a bummer. I also like to make things out of wood but many power tools are designed for right handed people, making them difficult to use and sometimes unsafe.

Fun Left Facts:

-The Spanish word “zuro” means both clumsy and left-handed

-Make up approximately 10 percent of the population

-More likely to have allergies, migraines, and insomnia

-Use the creative right side of their brain the most

-Generally draw figures facing the right side

-More prone to mental disabilities

-Reach puberty four months before righties

-Men are twice as likely to be lefties than women

-Live on average nine years less than righties

-45 percent of expert fencers and tennis champs are lefties