1. Marshmallow man: Not only is this miniature version of the classic snowman adorable, it is tasty and easy to make. Stack three marshmallows on top of each other and attach them by sticking a pretzel stick through the marshmallows. Use more pretzels for the arms, and a piece of candy corn for the nose. Attach m&ms with frosting for the eyes, and give it smile with red frosting. Wrap a strip of sour candy around its neck for a scarf. Put a Hershey’s Kiss on top to keep the marshmallow man’s head warm.
Note: Swap out marshmallows for vanilla cupcakes for an even sweeter snowman.
2. Papier mâché man: Discover your creative side by using papier mâché for the snowman’s body. Follow normal instructions for making papier mâché with balloons, but paint three sections white and attach them with hot glue. Use buttons you have lying around the house and cut colored construction paper for a hat and facial features. Finish it off with a scarf made from a strip of felt. This papier mâché man is fun to make and is a great winter project.
3. Sock man: This homemade take on the snowman can be achieved with any old white sock. Create three sections by stuffing the sock with other socks. Use a pipe cleaner for the mouth and construction paper for the eyes and nose. Glue on googly eyes and use a piece of felt for the scarf and hat. Stick bobby pins wrapped in black tape in the sides of the sockman for arms. Attach sequins for the buttons and tape on a top hat made from construction paper. Place it on a mantle so your masterpiece can be seen.
4. Light bulb man: This nontraditional snowman will be sure to impress at any holiday party. With your light bulb facing rounded side down, cut several small, round circles out of construction paper for the eyes, mouth and buttons. Using orange paper, cut a long triangle for the nose. Tape everything onto the light bulb, and use Silly Putty to help it stand up.
Safety note: Don’t use a light bulb that has recently been in use!
5. Rice Krispie Man: Like the marshmallow man, the Rice Krispie man is fun to make and eat. Bake a batch of Rice Krispie Treats and form them into snowman-shaped spheres. Cover the snowman with white frosting, attach chocolate chips for the eyes, a piece of candy corn for the nose, and a strip of licorice for the smiling mouth. Wrap a colorful fruit roll up around the neck to keep the Rice Krispie man warm. Use m&ms to create three buttons, and put a pretzel stick in the sides for arms. Top your homemade treat with a hat made of a Hershey’s Kiss.
Recipe for Rice Krispie Treats
1/4 cup butter
4 cups miniature marshmallows
5 cups crisp rice cereal
Melt butter in large saucepan and add marshmallows. Stir constantly for two minutes. Remove from heat, add cereal and stir until well coated. Let cool and shape into snowman.