Classic Movies Review

Sofia Ruiz, Staff Writer

What was the last movie you saw? Some Miramonte students saw The Interview, a comedy that recently caused a stir with the debate of freedom of speech. Others liked superhero movies, like Guardians of the Galaxy, or some perhaps gravitated more towards seeing apocalyptic futures in theaters, like Mockingjay.

But why not spend a little time reminiscing of the days of luxurious Hollywood, and elegance gracing the silver screen? I’m talking about Cary Grant-style, black and white, fast talking beautiful people. Why not review how the old stars of Hollywood did comedy, or fear, or drama? These classic films are sure to take up some space in your internet history, and your heart.

Casablanca (1942)-

The owner of a nightclub in Casablanca, American Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart), comes into possession of two “letters of transit” which allow travel around German controlled Europe and Portugal. There are corrupt military officials gambling every night, but what surprises Rick is seeing his ex-lover Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) and her husband Victor Laszlo (Paul Henreid). After some heartache and romance, Rick agrees to give Ilsa and her husband the letters, and help them escape.

This is almost too romantic, except for that isn’t possible, so it is just right. The war just feels like a backdrop to Rick and Ilsa’s relationship (poor Laszlo), and yet is what essentially pulled them apart. Pull out the tissues for that line “ We’ll always have Paris,” for a teary farewell, and for the beautiful fact that we’ll always have this movie.

Some Like it Hot (1959)-

When two male musicians (played by Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon) witness a murder, they fear the gang who committed it will come after them. So what’s the natural thing to do? Clearly, it’s to dress up like women and get a job in an all-girl band heading to Florida. When Joe (Tony Curtis) begins to fall for Sugar (Marilyn Monroe), one of the girls in the band, his friend Jerry (Jack Lemmon) gets into a relationship with an older man with quite a bit of money.

Of course, this movie is hilarious, without relying on the vulgar humour used nowadays. As the main characters’ lies spiral out of control, a viewer can’t help but sweat a little; not only do they need to focus on arrangements with their beloveds, but they need to deal with the Mafia, as well. This movie, although being a comedy, still has that classic “we are meant to be, but alas we can never be.” We feel Sugar’s sadness deep within our souls, and can still laugh at Jerry’s engagement predicament.

Psycho (1960)-

Marion (Janet Leigh) steals money from her employer to pay her boyfriend’s debts and marry him. She runs away and stops at Bates’ Motel, where she is met by Norman, a nervous young man, and is told of his deranged mother, who she only hears, but never sees. When she goes missing, the struggle is for her boyfriend and sister to find out what happened to her.

Alfred Hitchcock truly scares me. I am not a great fan of horror movies, but this film is much better than any “Chainsaw Massacre” out there. The entire film has an eerie feeling, and you constantly dread that something is about to go terribly wrong, which I believe is the hallmark of a good horror film- it’s ability to keep you on the edge of your sea and to make you scared without scaring you. If you like suspense and being scarred for life by the resolution of movies, this is the film for you.

Bringing up Baby (1938)-

In this entangled comedy, paleontologist David Huxley (Cary Grant) is working hard to assemble a dinosaur skeleton, worrying about his grim soon to be wife Alice Swallow (Virginia Walker), and trying to impress Ms. Random, who is planning to donate to his museum. Then he meets Susan Vance (Katharine Hepburn) who has a pet leopard named Baby, and is also the niece of Ms.Random. She falls in love with him when she enlists his help to raise Baby, mistaking him for a zoologist. They end up in jail because of a leopard mix-up, and from there things only get more complicated.

Who doesn’t love Cary Grant? Who doesn’t love Katharine Hepburn? Who doesn’t love leopards? This is a hilarious and cute movie, and although it contains misunderstandings among characters that you just want resolved before you start getting too stressed over a fictional story, it does resolve itself in the end. The only issue that remains is Mr.Huxley’s hard work reduced to rubble, and him being totally okay with it. I personally would begin to cry, not profess my love for someone. But anyways…romance, comedy, and a wild animal kept as a pet: this movie is a gem.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)-

The movie opens with an elegant girl eating breakfast in front of Tiffany & Co.’s window, therefore the title of the film. This story surrounds a girl, Holly (Audrey Hepburn) who has a plethora of admirers (too many for her to handle) and a dashing new neighbor, Paul (George Peppard), who is in a relationship with an older woman. Holly and Paul grow closer as the movie goes on, and they fall a bit in love, but Holly wants to marry some of the other, richer men in her life because she’s a bit of a gold-digger.

Holly, what are you doing? Although I will admit the character is extremely well played Holly needs to make up her mind. Holly keeps chasing after these rich men even though it is clear to me (the audience) that she belongs with Paul. You’ll spend most of the film muttering to yourself that she needs to pull herself together, but other than that it is a fantastic film and I have no further qualms.