Country Meets Rap At Stagecoach This Year

Makenna Millham, Staff Writer

image

A marriage of rap and country took place late last month. In California’s Coachella valley, saggy pants met 10-gallon hats. At the Stagecoach country music festival in Indio, a diverse group of performers ranging from Snoop Dogg to Carrie Underwood played to crowds of 40,000 fans. Attendees from Miramonte included several seniors.

For the past few years Sam Hunt’s mild rap and country mixed style has gained increasing popularity, but it was not until April 29 that artists such as G-Eazy and Luke Bryan performed at the same festival. In Indio California, a two-and-a-half-hour drive east of Los Angeles, G-Eazy’s Me Myself and I contrasted with Luke Bryan’s Country Girl.

The set was started by Hunt, but after a few songs he brought out G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha, who were then followed by Snoop Dogg performing classics like The Next Episode and Drop it Like it’s Hot.“The best part was 100% Sam Hunt,” said senior Anna Casey. “When he brought out Snoop Dogg and G-Eazy it was amazing.”

From April 29-May 1, Miramonte students rented a house with their moms in the  La Quinta area, close to the venue. “I loved being with our moms,” said Casey. “They were really helpful with rides and it was really nice to bond with them all.”

For meals, they often ate lunch at the festival’s various food stands inside the Stagecoach fences. The stands included delicacies such as barbeque, shaved ice, watermelon, pizza, frozen lemonade, fish tacos and pretzels.“My favorite food was fried chicken and waffles,” said senior Joe Metheny.

Other notable artists included Eric Church, Carrie Underwood and Luke Bryan. Eric Church brought out Cassadee Pope to perform their hit single, Think of You on the first night of the festival.

The temperature often dipped to high 60s while the days heat hovered in the low 90s. Stagecoach attendees were also greeted by dust and wind that managed to blow off several cowboy hats, including that of Grammy-winner Chris Stapleton.

Other performances included a Prince tribute by Little Big Town. The four man band started with the late icon’s, When Doves Cry. They later followed with their hits Little White Church and Pontoon. The brother-sister band, The Band Perry also performed, singing In It Together, a song they composed after performing at Stagecoach the following year. They followed with hits, When I Die Young and Dig Two.

In addition to the country music playing at the three stages within the venue, there were petting zoos, shopping, a ferris wheel and a tent known as the ‘Honky Tonk.’ Within this tent more Pop music was played. Of these attractions Casey greatly enjoyed the petting zoos, which included goats, chickens, lambs and pigs. “I saved a drowning chicken,” said Casey. “It was probably the highlight of my life.”

As for attire, many individuals donned their red white and blue. Everything and anything star spangled seemed to be the dress code for the weekend. Others opted to wear traditional jeans, cowboy boots and big belt buckles. A few ‘Make America Great Again’ hats were also in attendance.

This year’s festival was a continuation of the decade long annual country performances that follow the Coachella music festival. However, this year’s stands alone as the first to incorporate another genre, in what Luke Bryan deemed “Countrychella.”