Outside Lands Returns This August

Credit%3A+sfoutsidelands.com
Credit: sfoutsidelands.com

Credit: sfoutsidelands.com

Credit: sfoutsidelands.com

Riley Eversole, Staff Writer

Imagine this: you’re in Golden Gate Park, surrounded by your best buds. Your heart pulses as Major Lazer appears on the stage. “Get Free” plays and the energy of the park is uplifted and you realize that every penny of the $500 you paid to be there was worth it. But the fun doesn’t end as Major Lazer closes. Chance the Rapper is about to come on stage followed by Miguel and Lana Del Rey. Yesterday you saw Zedd and Years & Years. Friday you and your friends got down to Miike Snow’s “Genghis Khan” and J. Cole’s latest hits. Sound enticing?

This year’s Outside Lands festival will be from August 5-7. Located in Golden Gate Park, the festival features trending electronic, hip-hop, indie rock, and alternative artists and draws crowds of over 200,000. With its first edition in 2008, the festival’s popularity has skyrocketed over the past few year. Several Miramonte students plan to attend this year’s festival.

Last year, the festival included Milky Chance, Mumford and Sons, Kendrick Lamar, Odesza, Elton John and more. Released the first week of April, this year’s lineup features a wide variety of some of the most well known artists of 2016 and before. Friday will feature LCD Soundsystem, J. Cole, Miike Snow, Wet, Thomas Jack, to name a few. Saturday’s schedule consists of Zedd, Air, Radiohead, Years & Years The Wombats, Vince Staples and more. On Sunday, Major Lazer, Lana Del Rey, Kehlani, Miguel, Chance the Rapper, Oh Wonder, Snakehips and others will be featured.

“The music gets better each year. The hefty price is definitely worth it,” junior Olivia Fishlow said, who has attended the festival for the past two years. This year she plans to attend all three days. The festival offers single-day tickets, three-day passes, and VIP packages. Three-day tickets sold out within minutes, but websites such as Vivid Seats and Craigslist are offering them for a hefty price of around $500. One-day tickets are available for around $300 and three-day and single-day VIP tickets cost $1,000 and $400, respectively.

“I’m most excited to see Major Lazer on Sunday,” said junior Taylor Geary who plans to attend all three days.    

Beyond its stacked lineup, the festival is known for its wide variety of local mouthwatering food trucks and restaurants, offering some of the Bay Area’s best culinary wonders. On—site food— inspired “lands” like Chocoland and Cheeseland are just a few of the wide range of savory offerings.

“The best cookie and milk combo I’ve ever had was at Outside Lands. The food is by far one of the best parts of the festival,” said Fishlow. “But I would definitely say that the best part of the festival is the overall energy of the venue.” With an unmatched energy, the Outside Lands experience offers a one of a kind way to experience music, food, and San Francisco scenery.