Mirador Investigates Cheap Thrills in the Bay

The Bay Area is known for being full of characters, and Telegraph Avenue is no exception. When the weekend comes, students on a tight budget can take advantage its great people-watching opportunities.

K. Wolffe

Kate Wolffe, Staff Writer

Hike:
Wanting to reconnect with nature? Justify eating a huge picnic by hiking out to some of the Bay Area’s premiere hiking spots and soaking in all that majestic fresh air your parents are always telling you about. Hunker down amidst a field of poppies and watch the sun slant through the trees while contemplating your disgusting amount of homework.
Check out:
-Tilden Park-Entrances at Wildcat Canyon Road and Grizzly Peak Boulevard in Berkeley
-Briones Reigonal Park- 2537 Reliez Valley Road Martinez
-Lafayette Resevoir-located off Mt. Diablo Boulevard on the west end of Lafayette
TIP: Park on the street and walk to the entrance to save the $6 parking fee

Shop:
The Bay Area is ripe with quality thrift stores; one just needs to know where to look. If a shopper can overcome the slight mildewy scent and cluttered racks, discount stores are full of gems just waiting to be discovered. Looking for a Homecoming, Prom, or Ball dress? Try combing the thrift store selections for a cheap and unique piece you know will make you stand out. Looking for some extra cash? Sell or trade the clothes you don’t want or need anymore.
Check out:
-Thrifttown-3645 San Pablo Dam Road, El Sobrante
-Crossroads Trading Co.-2338 Shattuck Avenue, Berkeley
-Nifty Thrift-3467 Golden Gate Way, Lafayette

TIP: Be open minded. Don’t get discouraged when you can’t find something at first. Thrift stores have hundreds of racks, and having patience while shopping, will help in leading you to the perfect steal.

Watch:

You never know who you’ll meet when walking around in the Bay Area; especially in San Francisco, a main hub of tourist activity and unique personas. Though it seems a little mean-spirited, if you have a hankering for laughs and good food, BART over to Berkeley or SF for some cheap food and free entertainment.

Check out:

-San Francisco Farmer’s Market

-Telegraph Avenue

-Union Square

TIP: Bring a magazine or a newspaper to prop up in front of you so you don’t look like a creepy lurker.

Attend:

Show some school spirit by joining in the cheerig crowds at a Miramonte rally, dance or game! You can also check out free concerts and screenings of movies showing regularly around the Bay Area for a unique experience.

Check out:

-Miramonte’s website sport schedule

-Hardly Strictly Bluegrass ’11- Sept. 31, Oct. 1& 2 Speedway Meadow in Golden Gate Park, SF

-Log onto sf.funceap.com for upcoming free events in the Bay

TIP: When attending Miramonte sporting events, make sure to bring your school ID so you can get into the games for free.