Miramonte Welcomes Back Yoga Class

The Warrior Two pose is one of the most popular poses.

Meghan Rogers, Staff Writer

Without a doubt, everyone at Miramonte has heard of the new walk-in extracurricular, Yoga, after all its publicity these past couple weeks. Every Tuesday from 3:30-4:30 p.m, yoga is held in the cafeteria. The class encourages beginners and no registration or payment is needed  – you don’t even have to bring your own mat.

The class has been offered at Miramonte for four years.

“The teacher who first started the program was a Miramonte mom. When she stopped teaching she brought in another woman who I became friends with,” said Melissa Quiter, the yoga instructor. “When she quit, I became the new instructor and I taught it for one year. But I had to quit when I became pregnant.”

Miramonte has been talking about building an even healthier environment for both students and staff which inspired the Healthy Choices Committee to offer yoga.

“Yoga is a great stress reliever and a way to chill out for both students and teachers,” said Jaime Zaffanella, head of Healthy Choices.

The class started this year on Oct. 2, making this week its third session. It is becoming increasingly popular with a wide range of skill and experience in the yoga field, and both students and faculty are welcomed to participate.

“I thought it was time for us to actually practice what we preach,” Quiter said. “So why not yoga? It’s an hour a week to just calm your mind and do something for your body. Yoga isn’t just about stretching and building strength in your body, but also aligning the energy in it.”

Students enjoy the class and use it as a time for quiet before starting their after school lives.

“It was fun taking some time to myself. I really enjoyed going,” sophomore Lauren Bashin-Sullivan said. “It depends on my schedule, but I would like to go again.”