Babysitting Brings Money and Laughs

Lauren Branagh, Staff Writer

Sophomore Emily Burch 

“I was babysitting my neighbors and they have a five-year-old and one-year-old. I was putting them to bed and I bent over to pick up the one-year-old off the ground. As I was leaning over I heard a loud rip and then felt a breeze; my pants ripped right down the middle and it was too big to try to cover up. The mom was out of town so the dad was the one who came home and I had to explain to him what happened. I have never been so embarrassed.”

Junior Brigitte Legallet

“One time I was babysitting, and the eight-year-old decided that he wanted to go for a bike ride at 10:30 at night, but I didn’t really realize he was gone because I had fallen asleep on the couch. When his parents came home they had him in the car with his bike. I’m still their favorite babysitter, luckily.”

Junior Bailey Martin

“I was babysitting and we were playing tag. As I was running, one of the kids came out of nowhere, and he tackled my legs and I fell on my face into mud. It was so embarrassing.”

Senior Neema Shoraka

“I was babysitting my neighbors and it was about eight at night, which means bedtime for the little fella. He wanted a piggyback ride downstairs, so I gave him one to his room. A few steps away from his room, he suddenly fell off and hit his head on the wall. He cracked open his head and had to go to the emergency room. His parents hurried home and took him to the hospital. I felt so bad, but surprisingly they still trusted me and I still get calls from them to babysit.”

Junior Paige Powell

“When I was baby-sitting for the very first time I was changing the kid’s diaper and I put her on the changing table. I didn’t see that her hands were on the table right by the drawer and I ended up closing her fingers in the drawer, and she wouldn’t stop crying. It was a really bad first experience.”

Junior Maggie Clifford

“I went in for a babysitting interview and this mom started breast feeding her six-year-old daughter right in front of me. I didn’t know what to do. But I got the job.”