Students Take On Jobs and Gain Experience

Heidi Maupin, Staff Writer

Many Miramonte students have decided to cast aside their books for a few hours each week to put their skills to the test and join the Lamorinda work force. Students are finding jobs at their favorite after-school snack locations, local shops or just doing odd jobs around town.

A job can be difficult to squeeze into a schedule that is already dominated by homework and extracurriculars, but for some students the income is what puts gas in their car, builds their college fund or just keeps their wardrobe looking stylish.

Junior Maddie O’Shea scored a job at TJ Maxx in Moraga and now dedicates about 20 hours a week to hanging up clothing and giving the elderly informal fashion advice. “You have to be willing to put up with picking up clothes off the ground,” O’Shea said. “A lot, lot, lot of clothes. It’s crazy how people neglect to actually hang articles up on a rack, let alone the right one.”

Though folding clothes for hours on end may seen like a grueling task, O’Shea has learned to appreciate the occasional humorous moments that spice up her work day. “Easily the weirdest thing that has happened to me is once, a man walked up to me and asked, I kid you not, if we carried heavy artillery,” she said.

Just a short walk away from TJ Maxx, junior Hannah Silveira can be found working at Tangelo frozen yogurt. “I just have to know how to use the cash register and give people samples,” Silveira said. “I think it’s fun to see my friends that come in to get froyo.”

Her work hours are very flexible thanks to a lenient manager. “I usually only work about six hours a week so it isn’t a big commitment,” she said.

Junior Zach Barber has been working since the summer of 2011 as the boss of a labor business called “Local Labor.” Barber is in charge of scheduling work dates and hiring. He has employed over 20 Miramonte students that work on and off to mow lawns and do other manual labor.

“I work at least every weekend. It isn’t a huge commitment to work with L.L.,” Barber said. “I like everything about this job. The best is working when you want to, not when you have to.”

Junior Chris Tennant wakes up at 5:30 a.m. every other day to muck stalls and take care of the horses at a therapeutic riding center called Xenophon.

Tennant was not required to do any interviews for this position because all that is required for his job is willingness to work before sunrise. “The biggest skills required are just being able to wake up early and get close to a horse,” he said.