Students Celebrate Being Single On Valentine’s Day

Hank Larsen

Hank Larsen & Bailey Smith, Staff Writers

Many of us have had the fear of being “forever alone.” Well, if your fear has become a reality, then you probably aren’t too excited for Valentine’s Day – or as we like to call it, Single Awareness Day.

Don’t fret, there are many fabulous things you can do on Valentine’s Day if you don’t have a significant other. Chocolate is everyone’s best friend. So what if no one gave you a box of chocolates? Go out and buy one for yourself! You can enjoy it while watching one of your favorite rom-coms.

If you’re unsure of which romantic comedy you’d like to watch, there are a plethora of options. Or maybe you’re in the mood for a tear-jerker; Nicholas Sparks movies are always a good place to start.

The truth is, Valentine’s Day isn’t really that big of a deal. It’s convenient if you have a significant other to spend it with, but honestly part of it is just an excuse for card and candy companies and florists to “make bank.” It’s really not something that we, as high schoolers, need to stress over.

You can make the day fun by getting together with all your single pals and celebrating Single Awareness Day. Appreciate the single life and all the friends you have. Who cares about falling in love when you can just have a good time with your close friends?

If all your friends have boyfriends or girlfriends, you can always spend the day with your cats. One thing to always remember is cats will always be there for you and more importantly, they can’t break up with you. That’s right, you won’t hear any blatant lies like “It’s not you, it’s me” from Fuzzy.

As a matter of fact, Valentine’s Day technically isn’t a real holiday, like Grandparent’s Day or Earth Day. In a perfect world, people should keep love in their hearts every day of the year; and not need a superficial holiday to express it.

Many students show their opinion of Valentine’s Day through what they wear to school that day; people looking forward to Valentine’s Day will be wearing wear pink, red or white.

“Last year I wore black in protest of Valentine’s Day,” junior Erin Schoenfeld said. “But this year I’ll be decked out in all pink for choir grams.”

Sitting alone at home can be last resort, but it isn’t all that bad.

“Valentine’s Day is a day for lonely people to buy themselves candy and feel self-pity,” freshman Katie Barber said. “I’ll most likely be sitting at home, eating chocolates and asking my cats why I don’t have a date.”

Whether you’re alone or with a significant other on Valentine’s Day, there’s no reason you shouldn’t enjoy it. There are endless movie and candy possibilities no matter whom you’re with. If Valentine’s Day is really that awful, just remember it’s one day out of the year and it will be over before you know it.

However, Valentine’s Day is about showing your loved ones how much you care about them. It shouldn’t be about having a boyfriend or girlfriend. So enjoy Valentine’s Day for what it’s really about, and let your friends and family know how much you love them.