Seagulls Take a Splat on Miramonte Students

The seagulls of Miramonte swarm the quad daily in hopes of scoring some snacks out of the trash.

Kate Laughton, Staff Writer

At approximately 12:21 p.m. each day, Miramonte students take the journey of the day, walking across the seagull war field, better known as the quad. Abandoned half-eaten lunches scattered around campus make a great afternoon snack for these birds. And of course, if something goes in one end, it’s going to come out the other.

“Freshman year I was running across the quad to go to the locker room and a bird pooped on my head and new sweater,” junior Kayla Sigaroudi said. “I stuck my head in the water fountain immediately.”

These seagulls have also been known to scare students by swooping dangerously low to the ground. “One day I was innocently walking across the quad to get to my fifth period class and a seagull literally swooped down two inches above my head,” junior Abby Brzezinski said, “I almost took a tumble right then and there.”

Seagulls have been an ongoing problem at Miramonte due to the excessive amount of trash left around campus. “We provide a substantial food source for the seagulls due to the amount of trash we leave around,” Vice Principal Michael McAlister said. “They are scavengers but don’t prey.”

Senior Amin Anjedani shares his poop receival experience. “My friends and I were all running around trying to avoid the birds and one bird, in an impressive show of gunsmanship, managed to snipe my hand from a distance,” Anjedani said.

Most people associate seagulls with the sea, so why are the Miramonte seagulls living inland? Although most people conclude that seagulls only live by the sea, they are also known to live by lakes, rivers and reservoirs. The Lafayette reservoir lies only a few miles away from Miramonte, hence the plethora of seagulls scavenging our school grounds.

The seagulls at Miramonte are a big problem and we must do something before they take over the school.  “They are out to get us and we should do something about them before it’s too late,” Anjedani said.