Miramonte Offers Numerous AP Courses

Youngjoo Ahn, Staff Writers

Science:

AP Physics: AP Physics is a conceptual class almost entirely composed of math. Students not enrolled in Calculus BC are discouraged from taking the course. The most interesting part about AP Physics are the labs and the demonstrations.

AP Biology: Everything learned in AP Biology is applicable to real life. Among many other things, students learn exactly what the flu is and how plant hormones work. The labs done in this class are based on real data and the experiments are close to what actual biologists are doing today.

“I love everything that we do in this class,” junior Caie Kelley said. “My favorite lab so far is mapping the genomes of all sort of animals and seeing how related they are.”

AP Chemistry: One unique aspect to this class is Webassign, a homework assignment done on the computer that usually takes a couple hours. After the AP exam, students learn organic chemistry and play board games.

“My favorite part about the class is the labs because the labs we do are at a college level. We experiment with so many different things,” junior Nikki Kyllonen said.

AP Environmental Sciences: AP Environmental Sciences, commonly called APES, is based around environmental trends. Students learn about animals and how ecosystems are built. The movies students watch in APES are some of the most fascinating movies shown during school.

“The concepts are interesting and I like learning about how environmental trends affect me,” junior Tori Wong said.

Language: 

AP Spanish: In AP Spanish, there are no new grammar concepts. Instead there is a heavy focus on speaking and reading. Students have enough knowledge and skill to read literature and poems.

“In AP Spanish, I became immersed in the language,” senior Wendy Woodin said.

AP Latin: In AP Latin, students translate poetry that Caesar and Virgil wrote. Students also learn Roman and Greek history and culture.

English:

AP English: The books read in AP English are undoubtedly engaging and interesting. One thing students love about AP English is the constant class discussion. Essays are written almost once a month about different books and works of poetry.

“The books we read are interesting. I never enjoyed poetry to this extent until taking AP English,” senior Brian de Luna said.

History:

AP European History: AP Euro is often the first AP class that students take. There is never a boring day in this class because there is so much European history from the 1300s to present day. This class requires a lot of reading each night and the memorization of dates. Writing a great Document Based Question essay has never been more rewarding.

AP US History: Although the time span isn’t as long as that of AP European History, AP US History goes into much more depth. Students normally read about one chapter every few days. Many students enjoy the simulations and fun activities that aren’t usually found in history classes.

“Although this class can be stressful, I’ve learned so much about the United States and the different things notable people say,” junior Andie Tuemmler said.

AP Comparative Government: AP Comp Gov takes an indepth look at the governments of other countries. The class has focused on Great Britain and Russia so far. Students interested more in international policies and governments should take this class.

“I took this class because international politics are more interesting to me,” senior Sydney Livingstone said.

Miscellaneous: 

AP Music Theory: Most of this class is spent listening to, and reading music. Students learn how to sing while simply looking at the notes. Focus listening consists of writing the notes down while teacher, Megan Perdue, plays the piano with the lights turned off.

“I like ending my day with this challenging yet fun class,” junior Jenny Li said.

AP Computer Programming: AP Computer Programming gives students independence that other classes don’t offer. Students can decide what projects they want to do. This class focuses on artificial intelligence, or having the computer solve situations without user input.

“I had a lot of fun making programs for the computer to find the best solution for games such as snake and Tic-Tac-Toe,” junior Kaiser Pister said.