East Bay Welcomes New Restaurants

East Bay Welcomes New Restaurants

Claire Marvin, Reviews and Columns Editor

Ike’s

1159 LOCUST STREET

Ike’s Love and Sandwiches opened on April 26. The new Walnut Creek location joins the ranks of nine other Ike’s sandwich shops spanning across the Bay Area. With whimsical sandwich names like “Pastrami-Charmed Life,” “Lex Luther,” and “Blind Date,” this sandwich shop is a hit. The original Ike’s place opened on 16th Street in San Francisco on Halloween of 2007; for creator and owner Ike Shehadeh, there has been no turning back since. Ike’s bread is baked fresh to order and the deliciousness of “Ike’s Dirty Secret Sauce” is baked into it, as well as spread on all of the sandwiches.

Vitality Bowl

1528 Locust Street

Vitality Bowls opened on July 19. Every Vitality Bowl features açaí berries, small, purple berries from Brazil, which are rich in antioxidants. Vitality Bowls are served cold with a layer of smooth organic Açaí on bottom, and covered with a layer of organic homemade granola mix, and piled high with super food toppings like strawberries, bananas, and kiwis. Vitality Bowls warns customers of the delicious and beneficial side effects one might experience after incorporating vitality bowls into their diet. Vitality Bowls has become a huge hit with Miramonte students. “My favorite bowl is definitely the tropical bowl with added goji berries because it has the most flavor and I’m obsessed with the coconut shavings on top,” senior Maddy Miller said.
vitalitybowl
Pinkberry
1179A Locust Street
Pinkberry, a frozen yogurt shop, opened on August 10. The nation became hooked on Pinkberry’s original tart flavor. Pinkberry is now in Brandy Melville’s previous location, just around the corner from the Cheesecake Factory. Shelly Hwang opened the first Pinkberry in Southern California in 2005, and it became so popular that residents on the once sleepy street threatened to ticket the hundreds of illegally parked cars around the shop. “I love Pinkberry,” sophomore Ali Ingrey said. “I was there when they opened and they gave out free samples; it was awesome.”
 pinkberrry
CREAM
1372 North Main Street
CREAM, “Cookies Rule Everything Around Me” opened on August 10. CREAM is a popular ice-cream sandwich shop started in Berkeley in 2010. The storeowners and CREAM creators, Jimmy and Gus Shamieh, opened their doors after a family hobby turned into a delicious idea for a creamy money-making machine. CREAM sells almost every type of ice cream imaginable sandwiched between two warm homemade cookies. At only $2.50 a pop, this treat is affordable as well as delectable. While CREAM is reminiscent of a traditional childhood treat, nobody can resist an ice cream sandwich. “Who doesn’t love CREAM? It’s ice cream and cookies combined into deliciousness,” senior Claire Ramer said.
cream