Senior Assassins Seen Spooning on Campus

Senior+Assassins+Seen+Spooning+on+Campus+

Youngjoo Ahn, Feature Editor

by Youngjoo Ahn 

A phenomenon has taken Miramonte seniors by storm. Seniors can be found walking backwards, hiding plastic spoons in their sleeves, and always keeping a watchful eye. This simple game, aptly called Assassins, uses wits and sneakiness to “assassinate” targets without any witnesses. The assassin continues to take their victim’s target and the game continues until only one player is remaining.

Senior Kaiser Pister took charge of organizing the game with the help of his computer. His brother had played Assassins in college, giving Pister the idea to start a game at Miramonte. Currently, this game is limited to the senior class.

“I thought that playing Assassins together would be a good way of bonding before we all leave for college,” Pister said.

The first round, which was more of a trial round, started on the first day of school. Eighteen people joined originally and 92 people, a third of the senior class, participated in round two. Although the first round only took three weeks to complete, the second round could take up to two months because of the large number of participants.

“I hope that by the end of the year, most if not all of the senior class will be participating,” Pister said. “I learned what worked and what didn’t from the first round.” For the second round, which is currently underway, participants are assigned partners and given targets. Both partners must die on the same day for the group to be eliminated. All assassinations must be made on campus during school hours. Like any other game, there are tactics for being successful. Senior Guy Raber won the first round and is ready to compete again. “It’s important to always be aware of your surroundings. I would always keep an eye out especially in hallways,” Raber said.

“It’s always interesting to know who died and who is after you. You’re always on your feet to make sure that you don’t die,” senior Ruwan Thilakaratne said. “Communication is another important skill. I’ve already died once, but because I was able to tell my partner, I was reborn the next day.”

“My partner and I have focused on making alliances and working with other teams to assassinate our victims and ensure our chances to win,” Fehrnstrom said.  With each passing day, players are coming up with new and inventive methods of assassination as well as rules to keep the game enjoyable. “It was clever when players, in certain classes like Mirador and Yearbook, pulled their targets out of classes the first time,” senior Tori Wong said. “However, people with these privileges shouldn’t use them for this game because teachers are becoming annoyed. One of the hardest parts of this game is coming up with new ways of assassinating your targets.”

“I made a chart with everything I know on it to help me keep track of who is still alive and figure out the pattern of the killers,” senior Cali Fehrnstrom said.

Another concern regarding Assassins is the potential for violence. “We only use plastic spoons, so the worst I can forsee is a strong jab,” Pister said.

“I never thought plastic spoons could be so scary, but it was the best two days of my life,” senior Jenny Li said.

“It’s a really fun game but people are taking it way too seriously,” senior Julia Duncan said. “One time, I killed Jonathan McDonald and he cracked his phone while celebrating because he thought he wasn’t dead.”

“Watching the seniors live in complete paranoia and terror of spoons makes the game seem pretty fun,” senior Ching Fang said. “But I’m pretty sure Assassins has destroyed some friendships.”

“Assassins is great. Although I’m constantly looking over my shoulder, the game has been a break from the usual routine of classes,” senior Tyler Kirchberg said. “The senior class has bonded more through the game.”