Tea Remedies

Tea+Remedies+

Elizabeth Chenok, Managing Editor

Tea. A warm, delicious drink to fill the soul and body. However, tea’s wonderful healing powers and health benefits can be overlooked. Mirador’s tea specialist took a look at various ailments and the types of tea that help relieve them.

1. Stomach Ache ~ Pain in the tummy? Peppermint tea can help with stomach pain. The “stomach healer” not only soothes and relaxes abdominal muscles, but also promotes good digestion and can often combat something even Tums can’t get rid of.

2. Exhaustion ~ Up late studying? Chai tea has natural caffeine that can provide the boost you need to get through the day. Without as high of a caffeine concentration as coffee, Chai still gently awakens and refreshes. The black tea is high in antioxidants and the natural spices add a soothing aspect to the tea. Cinnamon, cardamom, clove, black pepper, ginger, and fennel are just a few. The delicious spicy taste is one of a kind, and when mixed with milk, chai creates a rich drink good at any time of the day.

3. Can’t Sleep ~ Thoughts keeping you up? Chamomile tea is the perfect relaxer to help students get a solid night of rest. Not only does this herb help relax the body, it is also soothing for sore throats (cold season much?).

4. Overall Health ~ Green Tea is one of the most widely-used health teas. With incredible healing powers and rich in antioxidants, green tea is the way to go to promote a strong immune system. Specifically, catechins is an antioxidant in Green Tea that helps cell growth and prevents cell damage. Green tea is commonly referred to as the healthiest drink around.

5. Cold ~ Clogged sinuses? Tight chest? Ginger Tea will help with sickness. Often paired with peppermint to create the super-sickness fighter, ginger tea has many health benefits. Not only does it help open up airways and promote healthy breathing, it can clear sinuses and improve breathing. Ginger tea also helps boost the immune system.