2014 New Year’s Resolutions Revisited

Sarah Rockwood, Staff Writer

When the clock struck midnight on Jan. 1, 2014, it signaled more than just having to scribble out all the threes to fours in the top corner of your papers.  For many people, it heralded a chance to become a new person.  Many people use the New Year as an opportunity, or rather an excuse, to make the changes they’ve always wanted to see in their lives.  When the ball dropped in Times Square, people across the nation resolved to make improvements in their lives and stick to them until the ball drops again, a year later.

Despite the raw determination lingering in the air with the confetti on New Year’s Eve on a year-long challenge, the going gets tough when it comes to following through.  That determination that convinced students that they could eat healthier and exercise more may last a few days, or even a few weeks, but peters out and dies before February rolls around.

Within the halls of Miramonte, many students struggle to keep their resolutions intact as the New Year grows older.  Junior Annie Wapniarski made a resolution to cut back on her swearing; to some extent, she has been successful.  “I said I would swear less, not completely stop.  However,  with the kind of music I listen to, it’s been difficult.”

Some students aren’t as enthusiastic about the whole resolutions craze.  Junior Fatima Hasanain said, “I didn’t make any resolutions, because I don’t believe in them.  If you want to change or become a better person, why do you need the New Year to do it?”

A majority of students, however, do make some kind of resolution.  While the most common involve exercise and healthier eating, many resolutions reflect the goals students have in academics and social life. With her first semester as a Miramonte student finally completed, freshman Mary Rockwood is determined to improve her academic performance in the coming months.  “I want to devote more time to studying and actually ask teachers for help when I need it instead of just trying to understand everything on my own.  I especially want to bring my grade up in Honors Geometry.”

While New Year’s resolutions may not always be successful, or even meaningful, the concept of making positive changes in your life is a good one, and sometimes we need a little boost to make that change.  When everyone around you is holding you to your resolution and you’re holding them to theirs, it’s much more likely that someone will follow through, so share your resolution with a pal.

These resolutions can bring us together as a community.  New Year’s Eve is one of the most communal holidays of all, culminating in joyous gatherings like the one at Times Square.  Surrounded by festivity and cheer, New Year’s is more than just an opportunity to have an even better year, but also to reflect back on and celebrate the one that just ended.