What I Wish I Knew Freshman Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

What I Wish I Knew Freshman Year

Libby Dunne, Staff Writer

Freshman year can be really intimidating for everyone, with a new school, and harder classes. High school is portrayed as very challenging by movies, TV, and older siblings, academically and socially. What these new students will hopefully soon realize, is that freshman year is really not as bad as they might think, and that it can be really fun, despite the harder class schedule.
Not only is Miramonte a hard school academically, but we also have very accomplished sports teams. Going to school sporting events is very fun, and a great way to meet new students and get involved in something the school takes much pride in.
Also, playing a sport for Miramonte is much more fun than OIS sports, because you play more games/matches, and you practice everyday, which makes the team really close, and super fun.
“I was really nervous to start high school, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I like it,” freshman Kate Marvin said. “It is a lot more school work than I expected, but the social aspect is really fun.”
A common assumption about freshman year is that grades don’t matter. Though not as much as grades from another year, freshman year grades do matter, and colleges will be able to see your grades from freshman year.
“I wish I knew that freshman year grades do count,” junior Liz Hofinga said. “Our GPA for college is cumulative and freshman year grades are included in that.”
Going from being the top of the school at OIS, to the youngest again at Miramonte can be really intimidating, but the new freshmen will soon realize they have nothing to worry about.
“Before I started Miramonte I thought everyone was going to be really big and mean, and I worried about where I would sit during lunch. Now that I’m here, I think it is a great place. Everyone is really accepting and nice,” freshman Reagan Tierney said.
“I was intimidated by the teachers and older students, but I realized everyone is really nice and welcoming,” freshman Katie Milham said.
“I was excited to come to Miramonte for the social aspect like attending football games,” freshman Ella Lagomarsino said. “Now that I’m here, I really like it because the people are nice and it is really fun.”