Teacher of the Issue: Kate Watson

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teacher of the Issue: Kate Watson

S. Veverka

S. Veverka

S. Veverka

Sommar Veverka, Staff Writer

Kate Watson, Algebra one and two teacher at Miramonte, is no stranger to the Bay Area. Watson, a former Campolindo Cougar herself, grew up in Lafayette California, where she was a Stanley Wildcat (before her dark ages of the red sea), just kidding us Matadors love Campo.

Watson grew up playing sports. In high school she played volleyball, track and field, and basketball, which is her favorite sport. Being the sports fanatic she is, she roots for World Series Champs the San Francisco Giants, and the San Francisco 49ers or now the Santa Clara 49ers, and of course, Watson loves her Warriors.

Watson also roots for her alma mater, UC Berkeley, where she majored in environmental science. “I would have liked to teach environmental science, but I have to get another credential for that. Or maybe chemistry. But not biology, I can’t dissect things, I get queasy from that stuff,”  said Watson.

Watson says it was more chance that led to her teaching math instead of science, but hopes to get her science credential in the future. “My mom is a teacher, my aunt was a high school counselor, and every women on my mom’s side of the family was in education, so I grew up around it. And I’ve always liked kids whether they are in first grade or high schoolers. I’ve always enjoyed working with them more than working with adults most of the time.”

This is Watson’s second year teaching at Miramonte. Last year she taught Algebra 2 at Miramonte in the morning then taught at Las Lomas High School in the afternoon. Fortunately, this year Watson doesn’t have to commute mid-day and teaches both Algebra classes at Miramonte.

Watson also got to experience teaching in Oakland. “My life in Lafayette is not what everyone has,and I’m lucky to have that. It’s also part of why I worked in Oakland for two years, because I wanted to teach and I got to do a lot in math and science which was perfect for me. Teaching there taught me basically that the world is not fair.”

When Watson isn’t too busy grading papers she enjoys trips to Tahoe or the city with her family and friends. Watson enjoys walking around and eating her way through Fog City. She especially loves Italian food, specifically Tony’s in North Beach.  “When I was a junior at Cal I studied abroad in Italy. It was the best experience I had in college. I went to 11 different countries in Europe.”

Miramonte is beyond fortunate to have Watson as a teacher. She truly cares about her students and wants to help them succeed, not just in academics but various aspects of life. Watson is a great addition to the Matador family and we are lucky to have her.