Prom Alternatives Make For Unique Experiences

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Ceci Gee and fellow team mates played at a soccer tournament instead of attending their junior prom.

C. Gee

C. Gee

C. Gee

Ashley Logan, Staff Writer

While Junior Prom is the highlight of some students’ junior year, others spent this evening participating in alternative activities. These students avoided the high price of the prom ticket and formal attire to spend their time engaging in various activities.

Juniors Ceci Gee and Maggie Maguire attended a soccer tournament the weekend of prom. “I missed the opportunity to have a really great time with my friends and classmates but I also got the opportunity to play in a very fun and highly competitive tournament with my teammates,” Gee said.

Andy Tobin’s alternative activity to prom was going to see the Shattered circus at the Kinetic Arts Center in Oakland with his boyfriend. “I would have loved to get all spiffy in a suit and take huge amounts of pictures with my friends, but I think I enjoyed the circus more than I would have ended up enjoying prom, mostly because I’m a terrible dancer,” Tobin said. Tobin will not escape dancing for that long as he is attending the Acalanes ball with his boyfriend. “I’ll just hang out with people there and avoid dancing like the plague.”

Elizabeth Bennette and a couple of her friends went to the city on the night of prom and enjoyed Chipotle, bubble tea, and spending excessive amounts of money on clothes and accessories. To sum the night up in three words Bennette said, “Treat yo self.”

Even though prom may seem like a necessary event to check off the high school bucket list, these students were able to make a memory without it.