Miramonte Welcomes Transfer Students

Photos: A. DeVecchi

Photos: A. DeVecchi

Amanda DeVecchi, Staff Writer

Some transfer students are struggling to keep up with the rigorous curriculum that Miramonte offers. But two students seem to be managing just fine. Senior Angie Moretti, moved to Orinda with her two younger brothers (one a freshman and the other a junior) from Italy. Moretti’s family moved to California because her dad had a job opportunity in San Francisco and they settled in Orinda because of the good water polo program for her two brothers. “The curriculum is easier to handle here, in Italy we had fifteen subjects, whereas here is six or seven,” said Moretti.  “What’s hard here is that the subjects are different[her government class] and because everything is in English.”

Miramonte is ranked among the top 50 schools in California. The public school holds 1,124 students, and 93% of students are considered efficient in both math and reading. Many who moved from outside the Lamorinda area came here because of the school district. At Miramonte the teachers and administration try to engage the students, academic excellence is valued, and the students are well-prepared for their future in a University setting.

Junior Olivia Keogh moved from Chicago with her older brother, who is attending Santa Clara University. Her family moved to Orinda because her dad has a new job and they have family friends that live here.

Good education is something that parents value for their children, but surroundings are another factor that go into moving to a new town. “I love it here, I love the climate,” Moretti said.

Many students at Miramonte are very welcoming of new students; Moretti was welcomed with open arms. “Everyone is so nice and happy, there is no sadness. I was able to make friends very easily,” Moretti said. Keogh agrees with Moretti. “I like it here; the school is smaller than my old school back in Chicago, but I was able to make friends easily,” Keogh said.

Not only does Miramonte have great academics but we have competitive sports. Moretti said that her family moved here partially because of the great water polo program for her brothers, but she would like to participate as well. “I would have liked to participate in volleyball, but there were complications with signing the documents, and getting them sent from Italy,” Moretti said. “Also, because I am a senior there are some more experienced players.”

Miramonte may be different from Moretti’s old school because of athletics, and school size, but there are some similarities as well. “The subjects are similar but there are more options here. The clubs are similar as well,” Moretti said. Keogh’s school in Chicago has some very interesting differences when compared to Miramonte. “Sometimes I miss my old school because of the spirit we had there. We had these things called super fans and at the football games certain students would pump up the crowd. One time my school was on ESPN for a 30 minute special,” Keogh said.

It seems that these two new students are enjoying their first year at Miramonte. They are able to handle the workload and the athletics at Miramonte are relatively the same as that or their old schools. Although Miramonte is different than their old schools, these two new Matadors are fitting in very nicely.