Rose Bowl Action Attracts Miramonte Students

Photo: Blake Sharp

Photo: Blake Sharp

Amanda DeVecchi, Staff Writer

Blake Sharp had watched a few Stanford games throughout the regular season, but she didn’t get a chance to watch Iowa as closely. Her dad went to Stanford, so he was rooting for them. All of his friends said that Stanford would crush Iowa, and that is exactly what happened.

The Rose Bowl is not called the “Granddaddy of Them All” for no reason. It is the oldest college football game played in Pasadena, California. Since 1902 the Rose Bowl has been the home to 19 Heisman trophy winners, produced 29 national champions, featured around 208 All-Americans, and honored 113 football legends by giving them a spot in the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame.

The Tournament of Roses is a championship game held between a team from the Big Ten Conference and the Pac-12 Conference. The Stanford Cardinals with a record of 11-2 earned the position in the Rose Bowl game for the Pac-12 Conference and the Iowa Hawkeyes with a record of 12-1 earned their spot from the Big Ten Conference.

Stanford is not a new face to appear at the Rose Bowl. The Cardinal has been to over 10 Rose Bowl games before. Iowa on the other hand hadn’t been to the Rose Bowl since 1991.

“I didn’t have any predictions going into the game, but my dad’s friends who also went to Stanford predicted that Stanford would blow Iowa out of the water, so that’s what I went with,” Junior Blake Sharp said. “The game was exciting in the beginning because Hogan threw a touchdown pass to McCaffrey for the first drive of the game.” Sharp has been to other Rose Bowl games before, but this was the first time she was able to go to the tailgate with her dad. At the tailgate she was able to have a selection of appetizers before the game.

Sharp wasn’t the only student from Miramonte who has been to Rose Bowls in the past. Junior John Berg went to the 2013 and 2014 games, where Stanford competed in both of those games. During the 2013 Rose Bowl Stanford faced Wisconsin and in 2014 Stanford faced Michigan State. The following games were much closer than the game this year. Although Berg was unable to be at this year’s game, he watched the game on television. “During the game I think it was clear McCaffrey should have won the Heisman. He proved that he is the best player in college football.”