Clark Reinforces School Rules

Grace Hilty, Feature Editor

With the arrival of a new school year, Principal Adam Clark hopes to foster an even more respectful and supportive environment around campus, holding the upperclassmen especially responsible for setting a positive example for the underclassmen.

Through reinforcing old rules and eliminating inappropriate traditions, the administration hopes to re-emphasize the positive relationship between underclassmen, upperclassmen, and faculty.

“We expect our seniors to be challenging themselves and getting involved,” said Clark. “Upperclassmen set an example for underclassmen. We want that example to be a positive one.”

One of the traditions that the administration eliminated this year was the distribution of the “Ten Commandments” by the senior women on the first day of school. The Ten Commandments have been distributed by the upperclassmen girls and posted in locker rooms and bathrooms in years past.

This year, when Clark noticed the circulation of several hot pink fliers, he intervened immediately, confiscated the papers, and reprimanded anyone involved with the scandal.

Clark is also taking a strong stand against hazing in athletics. In past years, seniors have hazed younger athletes through initiation. Last year, Clark ruled out this tradition, recommending instead that initiation should be for new team members as well as experienced team members.

In response, varsity girls volleyball, a team that in past years dressed up new additions to the team at school, instead dressed up every team member – from the newest players to the senior athletes who have been playing since freshman year.

“We don’t want anyone to feel degraded. We are trying to create a more positive atmosphere,” said Clark.

The administration plans to enforce the dress code at school dances more strictly, citing spandex shorts and skirts as the most frequent offenders. Students will also be discouraged from bringing bags into the dances.

Students should expect more severe punishment for littering around school, with Clark insisting that littering on Miramonte’s beautiful campus is disrespectful to the school, families, and custodians.

Leaving campus and cutting class will automatically require a Saturday school.

The strict regulations against cheating and academic dishonesty continue to be in place from years past.

“The administration is supporting the students,” said Clark. “This relationship is all about respect and unity.”

At the Homecoming Rally this year, all student athletes will be acknowledged rather than just the football players.

Rally videos have not been ruled out altogether. Videos must go through a long editing process – through the rally leaders, through Leadership teacher Valerie Peterson, and finally through Associate Principal Jan Carlson. The video from the first rally was not given appropriate editing time, and therefore could not be showed at the rally.

However, Clark encourages the rally videos and is excited to see what the rally leaders will come up with to boost school spirit and unite the student body.

The student body has transitioned well to renewed responsibilities. “We are excited to finally be seniors,” said senior Cameron Baker. “Our senior class plans to end on a good note and set a positive example for underclassmen.”