MHS Supports Ryan Buchanan, Family

MHS Supports Ryan Buchanan, Family

J. Buchanan

Megan Freeman, Editor-in-Chief

On June 25, senior Ryan Buchanan traveled to Sunset State Beach with his church when the tunnel he dug in the sand suddenly collapsed on top of him, leaving him about six feet below the surface, without oxygen, for 15 minutes. When rescuers reached him, they rushed him to the hospital where they removed the sand from his lungs and put him on a respirator to help him breathe. Ryan currently rests in a persistent vegetative state in the George Mark Children’s House.

The accident stunned the community, and countless people, including many Miramonte students, have reached out to the Buchanan family to help and support them.  During the first week of school, a giant “Love 4 Ryan” banner hung on the front of the gym so students could write messages of hope and encouragement, and many students sport bracelets with the same slogan.

Members of the community have volunteered to cook meals for the Buchanans and walk their dog.  Ryan’s church has also been an indespensable source of comfort and support for the family.

Senior Cassidy Gallegos started another support project for Ryan where his friends can draw on a square of fabric to be made into a quilt for him.  Those wishing to make a quilt square should contact Gallegos for more information.

Now, almost three months after the accident, following hospital changes, battles with infections and seizures, Ryan is in far better condition than he was before.  He now reacts to voices and music, sometimes even opening his eyes, and is getting ready to be moved back into his own house.  The Buchanan family will have to make thorough modifications to their home to accommodate Ryan’s needs.

If you wish to help, visit http://www.ryanbuchanan.org to make a donation. The site also includes information about events for his benefit. The next event is Rockin’ for Ryan on Oct. 15, from 5:00 p.m. to 12:00 p.m. at Moose Lodge in Castro Valley.  All proceeds will go towards the Ryan Buchanan Trust.

In addition, the Miramonte leadership class will have a car wash on Saturday, Oct. 22 in the afternoon to raise money to send to the Buchanans.

If you wish to follow Ryan’s progress, his father, Brett Buchanan, maintains a daily journal of his health and other thoughts about Ryan’s character and personality at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/ryanbuchanan.

“Not a day goes by that I don’t think about him,” said senior Olivia Trevarthen.

“We truly miss Ryan’s smile and can’t wait until he comes back and we can see it again,” said senior Paige Williams.