Environmental Club Kicks Off

Grace Hilty, Feature Editor

Miramonte’s Environmental Club is instituting several new projects around campus and the Lamorinda community.

On Nov. 12 at Glorietta Elementary School, the club will hold a “Freecycle Clothes Swap” from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. This event was held in 2009 by the club, and was very successful. Students and community members donate clothes, books, and other accessories.

For a five dollar entrance fee, customers can take whatever they like. At the event, the club will also sell baked goods. All leftover items will be donated to Goodwill.

The club’s goals are to reduce the school’s carbon footprint and spread awareness about environmental issues. Because of the small time commitment required, many students have become members of the club.

The club’s Presidents, Julia Withers and Allie Light, along with Vice President Alicia Macler, and Treasurer Mary Doyle plan activities to get the maximum participation from the student body.

This year, the club plans to institute a “Hydration Station” in Miramonte’s cafeteria to encourage the use of refillable water bottles.

The projected cost of the project is $14,000, including installation and maintenance. The club is planning fundraisers for the project, and is also receiving donations from Wells Fargo, the Educational Foundation of Orinda, and the Miramonte Parents’ Club.

On Nov. 2, the club held a fundraiser at Table 24, with 10 percent of proceeds being donated directly to the club.

The club is also instituting a new recycling program. In the past, the leadership class, the Environmental Club, other student-run clubs, and several faculty members have monitored recycling around the school.

Because of the large commitment required from administrators for directing recycling, the Environmental Club is now meeting with leadership to transfer responsibility around campus to clubs and leadership alone.

Publicity officers Talia Citron, Andrea Tamminga, Andie Tuemmler, and Sam Shain collaborate with the club’s principal officers in coordinating and publicizing events.

For interested students, the Environmental Club meets Tuesdays at lunch in room 286.