Increase in Cafeteria Prices Raises Questions

Helen Britto, Staff Writer

The tough economy seems to be affecting Miramonte High School more than expected. Increased food prices in the cafeteria and vending machines have been the source of many controversial discussions, and while students have different views over the raises, one thing is certain: these higher prices have students of all grades talking.

“I can’t believe we have to pay $4.25 for a salad,” said sophomore Isabella Calderon. “I mean it’s just lettuce and croutons.”

Calderon is not alone in her complaints over the cafeteria prices. Freshman Sarah Roth decided bringing lunch from home was a better alternative.           

“I can’t really afford to buy lunch at school everyday,” said Roth. It’s just too expensive.”        

These girls are just two of the numerous Miramonte students annoyed by the new prices and, though meal deals in the cafeteria have only risen by 25 cents, the cost of food in the vending machines has also increased. There has been no obvious change in food quality or portion, and so now many Miramonte students are beginning to question, why the sudden increase?

According to Diane Deshler, Director of Food and Services for the Acalanes Union High School District, keeping up with all of the expenses that go into running the cafeteria is hard work, and raising the prices was a must.

“Because of the poor economy prices for food are getting higher, and we strive to cover our costs,” said Deshler. “We only raise our prices to keep up with what we buy.”
Deshler knows it’s difficult for teenage kids on a budget to buy food everyday, so she attempts to keep the increases as minimal as possible.  Deshler’s kind gestures have not gone unnoticed by all Miramonte students.

“It’s not that big of a deal,” said senior Janine Loutzenhiser. “ It’s only 25 cents, and I’m sure with the economy they could have raised prices a lot more.”

According to Principal Adam Clark, since Miramonte has hired Deshler to take over food in the cafeteria, the general student population has been much happier. Cafeteria staff is very efficient with getting food to students and it is obvious the district is really aiming to keep students satisfied. Deshler has made it clear that food prices in the district are the same for all high schools, so while food prices may be the source of a few complaints around Miramonte, students can take satisfaction in the fact that Campolindo students are paying more too.