Ivy Acceptance Rates Decline

Ivy Acceptance Rates Decline

K. Chan

Reese Levine, Staff Writer

Of the thousands of colleges across the globe students have to choose from when applying to colleges, eight stand out as the most distinguished, but also the toughest to get into. These colleges make up the Ivies, which stand out as some of the oldest and most academically focused in the nation.

Especially at Miramonte, with its strong academic program, some students feel an extra incentive to apply to these schools. From 2009 through 2011, there were 313 total applications to the Ivy League schools by Miramonte students.

However, some of the applications could be multiple applications by the same student.

Out of the 313 applications, only 38 were accepted by the schools. Additionally, 37 were waitlisted or deferred. This acceptance rate, of around eight percent, is approximately the same as the national acceptance rate in 2010.

Adjusted for multiple applications by the same student, and using a 300 person class size, each year anywhere from 20 to 30 percent of the Miramonte student body apply to at least one Ivy League School. Only two percent actually end up going, which also correlates to the national average.

“We do not have quotas for specific schools and generally see at least 10,000 different high schools represented in our applicant pool,” wrote Jason Locke, Director of the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Cornell University. “The admission committees look at schools individually and consider the unique educational program within each school as we make our decisions.”

Qualifications for getting into an Ivy League school are rigorous. For most of them, over 90 percent of the students who went were in the top 10 percent of their class, and had SAT scores over 2000. The scores needed have climbed higher over the past decade as more and more students send in applications, leading to greater selectivity. This has led to some students who would have potentially gotten in 20 years ago being turned away today.

Because the Ivies do not allow scholarships for sports, they instead operate by recruiting athletes, who still have to pay to attend the school. This means that athletes who attend Ivies also have to have above average SAT scores and GPAs, so they won’t sink in the rigorous academic program.

Ivy League also have a “need-blind” admissions policy, which means they do not look at the financial situation of the applicant.

Accordingly, they offer many financial benefits to less privileged students who are accepted, and in 2011 about half of the students in the Ivies received financial aid of some sort. This number has held steady through the increase in applications.