Moraga Way Path Approved

A diagram of Orinda’s plan for the proposed crosswalk.

Cameron White, Staff Writer

The City of Orinda plans to revamp and improve the pedestrian situation on Moraga Way to provide a safe route for students who walk to school.

The proposed plan will build a 3,355 linear foot pathway on the west end of Moraga Way, converting the existing paved roadway shoulder. The pathway will extend from El Camino Moraga, the street that Del Rey Elementary is on, to Miramonte. It will comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and will be within the public right-of-way.

This plan will also greatly improve the existing crosswalk at Eastwood Drive and Estabueno Drive. New signage and Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons (RRFB) with push buttons on either side of the crosswalk will be installed.

The city has already approved the plans for this project and is waiting to advertise the project to local contractors, who will bid on the project. The contractor with the lowest bid will most likely be chosen.
The estimated total cost of the project is around $265,000, but the true cost won’t be known until a contractor is chosen.

“I think it’s good that they’re building a side walk,” said Miramonte junior Colin Friese. “It’ll be much safer for kids to walk to school.”

Because there is government money involved, Caltrans will be overseeing the project.

Janice Carey, Orinda’s city engineer, is in charge of overseeing the project’s design and collecting bids for construction. Carey says the project is expected to begin construction this summer or early this fall. When construction does begin, it will be after 9:00 a.m. to avoid interference with traffic.