The Case Closes for Mock Trial

Georgia Briskey, Staff Writer

On Friday, March 23, the Miramonte Mock Trial team drove to the California Superior Court to compete for the state finals. One team from every district in California attended this competition, with a total of 32 teams. In the three-day competition, each team was guaranteed four rounds of competition despite any wins or losses.

Miramonte started with a competition on Friday evening, and proceeded with three more competitions throughout the day on Saturday.  The Mock Trial’s prosecution team competed in the first two rounds and rounds three and four we’re handled by the defense.

The Mock Trial team won the first round, but accepted defeat in all the next rounds and didn’t continue to the Championship trial on Sunday.

In addition to court room drama, students attended a dance on Saturday night with the theme of “Nerdin It Up.”

“The dance was a great energy release after a day of stress,” said captain senior Robbie Fluegge.

The Miramonte Mock Trial Team has been competing since Feb. 7 and has been devoted to preparing well and working hard for each competition. All this work has paid off as they remained undefeated until this state competition. The Mock Trial Team hopes to place even higher during next year’s trial.