MHS Public Speaking Succeeds at State

Grace Hilty and Annie Odell, Staff Writers

The Miramonte Public Speaking team competed in the California High School Speech Association State Championship tournament this past weekend with great success. The tournament was at Lowell High School in San Francisco. Miramonte qualified 26 competitors, 16 of whom advanced to the semi-finals and eight of whom went on to finals.

Senior Rami Bata won 2nd place in Student Congress as the Presiding Officer.  Also in Student Congress, senior Alec Bahramipour took 6th place junior Erik McDonald took 8th place, junior George Kaiser took 10th place, senior Alex Glazer took 13th place, junior Julia Ting took 14th place, and freshman Sean McFeely took 15th place.

The following Matadors achieved high rankings in the Individual Events aspect of the tournament. Individual Events are 10-minute speeches that most students write alone, memorize, and perform. Sophomore Bennett Stehr took 4th place in International Extemporaneous, Senior Cecily Schmidt took 5th place in Thematic Interpretation, senior Ali Hasanain took 9th place in National Extemporaneous, junior Nick Olivier took 11th place in Dramatic Interpretation, senior Lisa Chang took 13th place in Oratorical Interpretation, sophomore Caie Kelley took 15th place in Original Advocacy, and sophomore Connor Meckfessel took 16th place in National Extemporaneous.

In Public Forum Debate, seniors Brian Lee and Madeleine Ayer took 5th place.

“The state tournament is always very rewarding,” said Bahramipour. “Our hard work paid off.”

Overall, Miramonte won 6th place in the tournament sweepstakes.