Parents’ Club Update

Maya Sherne, Beats Editor

The Miramonte Parents’ Club has many events in September, the first being Back to School Night, followed by class meetings for parents.

At Miramonte’s Back to School Night on Sept. 13, the Parents’ Club will be hosting a reception on the quad from 5:30-6 p.m.  The main objective of the reception is to answer any question parents have regarding the Parents’ Club and the programs they support.

“We encourage parents to attend the reception on the quad prior to BTSN so they have a chance to meet one another and mingle,” Co-President Kathe Friel said.  “We have only a few opportunities for parents to socialize with one another as well as with the staff and administration here on campus so we hope parents will take advantage of this opportunity.”

At 6 p.m., Principal Adam Clark will speak to parents in the gym about the Parents’ Club, the Education Foundation of Orinda, and the Boosters and will explain the role they play at Miramonte.

“We all work together to enhance the educational experience for the students at Miramonte,” Friel said.  “We raise funds and recruit parent volunteers to support programs and activities that otherwise would not be available to the students.”

Later on in the month, the Parents’ Club will host two class meetings.  The Freshman Class Parent Meeting is Sept. 18 at 6 p.m. in the Cafeteria, which is followed by the Sophomore Class Parent Meeting at 7 p.m. in the Miramonte Theater.

“We offer parent meetings across all grade levels at the start of school,” Friel said.  “We hope parents attend the meetings so they are fully informed about upcoming events and activities that will pertain to their student in the coming year.”

On Oct. 2 there will be class meetings for the parents of juniors and seniors.  “Parents will hear from Mr. Clark and the counselors, Class Parent Advisors, Parents’ Club Co-Presidents (myself and Laura Traxler) and the class officers will be introduced,” Friel said.  “They will provide information to the parents and answer questions they may have regarding their student’s year ahead.”

The Parents’ Club Board Meeting will take place on Sept. 19 from 9:30-11:30 a.m. in the College and Career Center.  “We encourage all parents to attend the Parents’ Club meetings; they are open to everyone,” Friel said.  “PC board members report on the various activities of the Parents’ Club and we often invite guest speakers, including student guest speakers, to our meetings to inform parents of pertinent initiatives here at Miramonte.”