Bully Results In: Are We Bully Free?

Bully Results In: Are We Bully Free?

Elizabeth Chenok, Staff Writer

Results are in for the bullying survey, and for the most part, Miramonte is bully-free. The school-wide survey was taken by 595 of the 1352 students. The survey asked questions about physical, verbal and online bullying.

“There are new laws on the books about bullying, so a lot of districts and schools are examining their policies that they have toward bullying,” Principal Adam Clark said. “Before we were going to look at programs and curriculum, we wanted to find out what our current students thought about bullying right now.”

The majority of the students said that they feel safe inside and outside the classroom on the Miramonte campus. Clark said that there are rarely fist fights at school, but is concerned with the small number of students who did not feel safe.

According to Clark, teachers do care about their students and want them to succeed. About 70 percent of students said their teachers were concerned with their success, 30 percent neutral and five percent disagreed.

Cyber bullying was notably the largest form of bullying at Miramonte. “I think that digital citizenship should be added to the curriculum. Once you write something, it stays there forever,” Clark said.

According to the survey, Facebook was the place that students had been cyber-bullied the most. Next was texting, then Twitter and lastly Instagram. A larger percentage of girls have been cyber bullied than boys at Miramonte.

“Colleges look at kids’ social media accounts and employers. Asking employees for their Twitter accounts has become common,” Clark said. “I think that students need to be educated about it.”

According to girls, if they had been bullied on campus, it was mostly in the classroom. “We don’t have kids pushing and shoving each other or cussing in class, and I don’t see

that very often, so we want to work with our teachers to listen to those side conversations,” Clark said. For boys, they said they were bullied most at brunch and lunch.

The students who have been bullied were asked to check all that applied for why they were bullied. Forty-two percent said they have been bullied because of their appearance, 23 percent because of their ethnicity, 16 percent grade level, 15.5 percent religion, 10.5 percent sexual orientation and 34.8 percent other. Students may have checked more than one reason. This year, the Diversity Club has been making an effort toward making all students feel welcome, especially the LBGTQ community, and held homophobia awareness month in November.

“It was a completely anonymous survey, so there is no way we can find out who the students who took it were, but we want to know, find the kids and let them know that there are adults on this campus who care for each and every person,” Clark said. “We hope that every student has one teacher that they can relate to.”

According to Clark, just because most students have not been bullied, does not mean that it’s not a huge concern for the school.

“We’re not a perfect school, and there’s lots of young people here. Part of going through high school is making and learning from mistakes. We hope the added curriculum will help kids learn ways to avoid making those mistakes.”

If you or anyone you know has been bullied at Miramonte, please contact an administrator or counselor. They are here to help.