Dec. 21, 2012: The End of the World?

Dec. 21, 2012: The End of the World?

Kenyon Watson and Hannah Friel, Staff Writers

This could be the last Mirador issue you ever read, because according to the Mayan calendar and other calculations, the world will end tomorrow, Dec. 21, 2012. This conspiracy has spread through the Lamorinda community, but also all over the world. The 2009 film titled 2012 informed many people about the rumor and even changed opinions of what is in store for the world tomorrow.

Many theories have been formed about how the world will end, but there are roughly eight main theories: “Planet X” colliding with Earth, shifting of Earth’s magnetic poles, a sun supernova, disruption of gravity by “Planet X,” alignment with the center of our galaxy, global warming and floods, seismic disturbance such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, and finally, shifting in the collective consciousness of humanity.

However, according to NASA, the world will not end, and instead there will be another winter solstice. NASA claims there is no scientific evidence to support any myths of the world ending in December 2012.

Although we Mirador staff writers are not scientific experts, we were able to find some loopholes within the conspiracy. While the Mayan calendar will end, it did not include leap years, so if this myth is really true, the world should have ended over a year ago. Furthermore, Australia is 19 hours ahead of us here in California, so if the world was supposedly going to end on Dec. 21, 2012, wouldn’t it already have ended in Australia?

The myth of the world ending started with claims that Nibiru, a supposed planet that is hiding behind the other side of the sun and was discovered by the Sumerians, is headed toward Earth. This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was moved forward to December 2012 and linked to the end of one of the cycles in the ancient Mayan calendar at the winter solstice. Astronomers and scientific experts declare that there is absolutely no evidence that a natural disaster or an apocalypse of some sort can be predicted for a certain date, so it is highly unlikely that anything will happen.

Because of the movie 2012, many students’ opinions on the world ending have been changed. In the movie, New York City floods during October, and this past October, New York City really did flood.

“The thing that really creeps me out about this whole ‘end of the world’ ordeal, is the fact that NYC really did flood, and that cannot just be a coincidence,” sophomore Stephanie Sloves said. “At first I didn’t think anything would happen on Dec. 21, but after watching the movie, I realized that I could die, and I really don’t want to die. But I suppose that if everyone else died, which most likely won’t happen, I would not want to be the only person living, because that could just get creepy.”

Sophomore Haley Stanten strongly believes the world will end. “I full heartedly believe every single molecule on earth will be incinerated.”

Mirador decided to find out how Miramonte students and teachers feel about this subject by creating a survey. According to the survey, out of 11 classes and 324 students and teachers, 40 people think that the world will end on Dec. 21, 63 people think that a natural disaster will occur, but the world will not end, and the remaining 221 people believe that the world will not end and everyone will live.

“Personally, I don’t think the world is going to end, but just in case, an Armageddon party is in order,” junior Will Lake said. “But I do believe that there is going to be a earthquake or other natural disaster that is going to affect a ton of people.”

The senior Solit twins, Nick and Matt, have firm beliefs about what’s to occur tomorrow. “We both know that the world is going to end. We don’t know how, most likely a zombie apocalypse, but it is going to end, and we are prepared. If you want to know more about the world ending, and it will, follow both of us on twitter. @nickysolit and @CubanMsslCrisis.”