Lulu & Tinder

Lulu & Tinder

Claire Marvin and Davis Walker, Staff Writers

Say goodbye to dating websites like eHarmony and Match.com, and say hello to dating apps. Yes, that’s right, downloadable speed dating right at your fingertips. Two dating apps in particular have left their mark on young adults.

Lulu, an app that rates males on a 10-point scale, is taking Miramonte ladies by storm. Available on the iTunes app store for free, Lulu is anonymous and for female use only. You might find yourself asking, how do they ensure males can’t participate? Well, the app is configured so that it’s connected with the users’ Facebook account, and one can only sign up if they are listed as female on Facebook. So, if a guy is trying to snoop around on Lulu, he’s out of luck unless he either gets his hands on a girl’s phone or is willing to undergo a social media sex change.

Lulu includes a score of 1-10, as well as the number of favorites and total views the person has. The overall score of an individual is an average of several smaller scores for different personality traits. When the user is rating someone, they can award higher scores for qualities they like about someone, while giving lower ones for things they don’t like.

Lulu also features a “hashtags” section, which aims to list the pros and cons of the guy under review. These tags are preset, and the reviewer simply picks the relative lables. The good hashtags range from “#bedroomeyes” to “#topchef,” while bad ones could be anything from “#mama’sboy” to “#integritychallenged.” Users also have the option to “favorite” a guy or “share” him with one or multiple facebook friends.

Guys’ opinions on the exclusivity of the app vary. Some don’t care at all, some are mildly curious and others are dying to know their rating but unwilling to admit it.

Most girls enjoy browsing the app and rating guys, but it’s not really taken seriously.One thing most people can agree on is that it’s good there isn’t a male version of the app, because it would cause more drama if girls were getting rated instead of guys.

“Lulu’s funny and I like reading what people think,” said sophomore Haley Stanten, “but I’d probably shoot myself or cry myself to sleep if there was a guys’ version.”

Tinder is another dating app that has taken the world by storm. Unlike Lulu, Tinder is available to both guys and girls and users are supposed to be at least 17 years old. You sign up through your Facebook account and Tinder will suggest people for you based on shared interests and friends. You can then either “like” or “pass” on people. Tinder is anonymous and claims that “other users will never know if you’ve liked them unless they like you back.” If someone you’ve liked does happen to like you as well, you can either send them a message or “keep playing.”

“The point of Tinder is to connect you to people nearby if and only if you have a mutual liking to one another,” Tinder Co-founder and Director of Marketing Whitney Wolfe said. “This means you can’t match with someone unless you both want to be matched. No rejection, no fake users and no timely sign ups.”

But why all the sudden hype around dating apps? Why are they becoming such a huge hit when traditional dating and dating websites have been around for so many years? “Websites are really something of the past, it’s all about instant gratification. The mobile space is really the future. It goes where you go and Tinder connects you on the go,” Wolfe said.

The future looks bright for these dating apps as more and more of the world goes digital.