MHS Parents Embark on Kitchen Tour

MHS Parents Embark on Kitchen Tour

C. Cellini

Here is the poster for the Kitchen & Garden Tour of Orinda

Claire Marvin, Staff Writer

The MHS Parents’ Club is bringing back their ever-popular kitchen tour on Thursday, April 18. This year however, the tour will be a kitchen and garden tour in order to shake things up a bit. MHS parents and supporters can buy tickets for $35 a pop either at http://tinyurl.com/miramontekitchentour2013 or at Orinda Books and at both McDonnell’s and Orchard Nurseries.

The kitchen and garden tour is exactly what it sounds like. Participants pay money to go and see homes with beautiful kitchens and gardens. The best part of all, however, is that the money goes to a good cause; a great cause for us high-schoolers actually. That is, 60% of the money goes straight into helping fund the Miramonte curriculum. The remaining 40% is evenly distributed (10 percent a class) among the freshman, sophomore, junior and senior classes. Last year, the tour raised around $15,000 for the school and this year the Parents’ Club is hoping to surpass that number.

The tour will kick off with a cocktail party the Sunday before the main event at Marci and Patrick Dunne’s house.

“The cocktail party is really about getting people excited for the tour and thanking our wonderful sponsors and homeowners,” Miramonte Kitchen Tour Co-Chair Jennifer Lavis said. Sponsors include Diablo Foods, McDonnell’s Nursery, Enchanting Planting, Linda Friedman of Village Associates, Wells Fargo Investments Orinda, Tracy Keaton & Chris Swim of Pacific Union, McKenzie Gray Builders and Dianna Condon Cuisine.

Tour-goers will visit six beautiful homes. “We tried our best to include homes from all over Orinda. We have two from the west side, two in central Orinda and two on the east side. Every homeowner believes in the strength of the public high school and its role in the community, so we really couldn’t be more blessed,” Lavis said.

During the tour, there will be a raffle and silent auction. Raffle prizes include everything from each grade’s themed basket to yoga classes and free dinners. The silent auction will feature art created by some of Miramonte’s own crafts students and paintings donated by the Orinda Women’s Painting Group.

“The idea of having an event to go to with friends to beautiful spaces for such a great cause and a low price point makes for a really nice day,” Lavis said. “There’s just something so special about touring homes with fellow Miramonte parents and supporters that no amount of simple check-writing could ever match.”