Electric Run Sparks Bay

Electric Run Sparks Bay

Claire Marvin, Staff Writer

Ready, set, glow! The ever-popular “Electric Run” is coming to San Francisco tomorrow. If you are 18 or older you can go to electricrun.com and sign yourself up, or, if you are not yet 18, a parent can sign you up.
So just what is this run, and how can it be electric? According to the run’s website, “the Electric Run is a 5k run, a show, a participation in art, and celebration of life. Incredibly talented artists and lighting technicians with experience creating beautiful art and light at Coachella, Dreamworks Animations, Disney, and some of Vegas’ hottest shows have come together to create a world that will fill you with wonder.”
In simpler terms, the electric run is one huge party complete with participants donned in glowing neon outfits, dj’s blasting music throughout the course, and people running, jogging, walking and dancing their way to the finish line.
The run starts at 8:20 p.m., which allows for the neon glowing factor to come into play. Participants meet at Candlestick Park and follow the route around the outside of the stadium, through the concourses, across the 49ers field, and beyond. Along the course, runners will pass through five to ten distinct lighting experiences, or “worlds”, each with a different theme and mood. DJs will be stationed at each of the worlds and play custom mixes according to each world’s theme.
Once participants hit the finish line, the real party begins; the lights and sounds become more amplified as runners return. Participants are encouraged to stay afterwards and dance to the music played by DJs stationed at the main stage right by the finish line.
Many MHS students plan to attend this year’s run. “I’m really pumped and excited to see all the colors and lights,” said junior Daniel Conner. Fellow runner, junior Miles McCaulou, chimed in and said, “I agree with Daniel that it’s going to be a really cool experience.”
Participants can either enter as an individual runner or as a team with four or more people. However, if you are under 18, you cannot make a team yourself, and would have to join a team with at least one 18 year old on it. For individuals, it costs $65 per person until the day of the event, and $60 for each additional team member.