Lululemon’s Pants Recall a Sheer Tragedy

J. Steele

Lulu’s crops are a popular option for Miramonte ladies and an upcoming trend for male students. Despite this scandalous mistake, many students, including juniors Nadine Masarweh and Dominique Clark, refuse to abandon the company.

Jackie Steele, Staff Writer

Echoing gasps and sobs could be heard all around Miramonte after Lululemon recalled all their luon yoga pants on March 20. The $98 yoga pants sold at the beginning of March were reportedly too sheer and revealing.

The company offered a full refund for those who wished to return their pants and estimated a profit loss of $60 million for this blunder.

“No one really wants to do the downward dog and show off their ‘treasures’ for the world to see,” senior and Lululemon enthusiast Cameron Hoyh said. “Plus it’s sad for the people who spend so much money to buy Lulu and are disappointed in what they get.”

The luon pants account for 17 percent of the company’s sales and are manufactured in Taiwan and Vietnam, as are the rest of Lululemon products. The company asserts that the mistake was not apparent until customers had the pants on, because the material had met minimal standards.

“Lululemon has been off their A game,” junior Annie Larsen said. “I bought a few pairs back in December and they even seemed a little sheer. I think a lot of people have noticed that the quality has been steadily declining for a while now.”
This mistake has opened the door for other competing yoga gear companies, like Athleta, Nike and Under Armour, to step up their game and begin to be real contenders to take some business from Lululemon, but it is still up in the air whether the customers themselves will jump ship.

“I was so bummed about this,” junior Brigitte Legallet said. “Despite the mess up, I don’t think I’ll ever want to wear any brand other than Lululemon. Nobody else has their unique designs and colors.”

This isn’t the first product blunder the Vancouver-based company has seen, as they were under fire for excessive fabric bleeding in July of 2012, which they apologized for on their Facebook page.

Amidst the scandal, Lululemon’s Chief Product Officer Sheree Waterson stepped down on April 15 after leading the company since 2008. The company said separately that they are restructuring their internal product organization.

The students of Miramonte feel confident that this major disappointment in their lives won’t permanently scar them.