Changing Your Schedule, Do it While You Can

Libby Dunne, Staff Writer

In the beginning of the school year, many students change their schedule to take different classes or electives. When many students change their schedule, it makes it hard for the teachers to reteach and for the students to make up work.

Depending on when your drop the class, it could show up on your record that you failed. To avoid this grade showing on your record, you must drop the class before the end of the first quarter, Nov. 1. The school does not allow students to enter a new course after Sept. 11, but they can take study hall or be a class TA during that period.

According to counselor Linda Fore, more than 50 students have consulted her to help them change their schedule so far this year. That’s 50+ students moving in and out of classes during the first few days of school, disrupting the class curriculum.

Though most teachers are expecting to have some chaos during the first few weeks of school, it is still disruptive and makes it hard for the teachers to hand out old worksheets and re-explain assignments.

“During the first few days of school, I try to hand out work that is easy for students to make up at home. Though it is an inconvenience to have students transferring in and out of classes, I want them to be in a class they are excited to take,” English teacher Polly Covell said.

Sophomore Kevin Henson changed a few of his classes halfway through the second day of school. “The only class where I had make up work was in English,” Henson said. “I had to read a poem and complete a few worksheets.”

“The main reason that students change their schedule is because they realized they have signed up for a class that will be too hard for them, especially an AP or math class,” Fore said.

The counselors have to go through a process of filling out forms to change a student’s schedule. They must complete a “change of program” form in order for the student to go into a different class. Students and counselors must fill out this form to make sure that any textbooks were returned to the teacher before they transfer out of the class.

“It can be complicated with four counselors helping students change their classes because there may be only one spot left in a class, and two counselors will put a student in that class. In this case, we have to call in one of the students to tell them they have to transfer into a different class,” Fore said.

After the first day of school, sophomore Zohar Oshri changed all her classes because she wanted all her harder courses earlier in the day. “I didn’t have too much work to catch up on because I switched classes right away, but I did have a few worksheets to make up in Biology,” Oshri said.