Our School, Our Play, “Our Town”

C. Colwell

Elena Wasserman and Elizabeth Chenok, Breaking News Editor and Managing Editor

Orinda is the place, and Our Town is the play. Beginning Nov. 6, The Miramonte Players have been performing for the past three days and will close their show tonight, Nov. 8. The drama department will be putting on Thorton Wilder’s famous play, Our Town in the Miramonte Theatre.
Unlike other performances in the Miramonte Theatre, the Miramonte Players invite everyone to the stage, literally. Instead of the normal 280-person seating, there are only about 150 seats for the audience. These seats are right on the Miramonte stage. There is no backstage, and every cast member is only about five feet away from the audience. Our Town has given the cast a chance to bring the audience closer, and leave all the fancy sets and props behind. If that isn’t exciting enough, everything is mimed.
“We wanted to try something different,” director and teacher Heather Cousins said. “We have given the audience an opportunity to see our acting up close and personal, without any props or sets to get in the way.”
Our Town is a very well known play in the theater world, and is actually the most commonly performed play in high schools.
“We all knew we had to do it at some point,” senior Maya Konstantino said. “Ms. Cousins had hinted at it last year, and now we can all say that we too were once in a performance of Our Town.”
With many new innovative ideas on their plate, the Miramonte Players have invested in some outside help.
“Normally only people in the Advanced Acting class are involved with the play,” junior Sam Shain said. “However, because everyone in our class is in the cast, we have some students from Drama I and II helping us with the tech side of things.”
The only “techy” things that these students will be doing are the lights; everything else is up to the cast. Along with miming props and having no set – except for the iconic two ladders – the cast of Our Town is also producing all the sounds for the show.
“It’s pretty tough to do all the music and sound effects,” senior Daniel Cook said. “We have to sing all the songs we want, which are mostly hymns, and make all the chicken noises.”
With all these new aspects of the show, the Miramonte Players hope that everyone gives this semi-dramatic play a shot.
“We know that the play is supposed to be a drama which could scare people off,” junior Maritza Grillo said. “But there are still some really funny parts along with all the new things we’re doing with it to make it our own.”